1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

DiMarzio Model 1, Epi EB-3

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Count Bassie, Oct 2, 2017.

1. Count Bassie

Count Bassie Supporting Member

Jun 10, 2006
    Smithfield, RI
    Need to replace the "Sidewinder" p'up at the neck position in my Epiphone EB-3 ( long scale, not a Gibson short scale). My question is primarily about string spacing: Should I use the DP120, or the DP145 model, for longer scale basses? It's confusing because the original Model 1/DP120 is for EB series basses (Gibson, mine is Epi)... the Will Power Model 1/DP145 is for "the string spacing of longer scale basses"

I know what I'm after sound-wise, just need to get the one that fits... my string spacing at that position is just about 5/8" ctr-to-ctr, sits very well with the stock pickup's pole pieces.

Thanks!

Last edited: Oct 2, 2017
    Goy77 likes this.
  2. Isn't there a "click here for dimensions" button on their pickup listings? Thought I saw one the other day...

3. Count Bassie

Jun 10, 2006
    Smithfield, RI
    Didn't see... I'll look again.

4. Count Bassie

Jun 10, 2006
    Smithfield, RI
    Ok yep there is a button- after you click on the pickup you want the next page has the words "Pickup Dimensions" in blue, very small, with a little arrowhead... great, thanks @ZenG , the Epiphone EB-3 wants the Model One DP120. distance from outside poles is 1 7/8".

Nice. Now to find out what ELSE is out there... since I won't be doing this again for a while...

Goy77 likes this.
  5. Goy77

Goy77

Feb 28, 2017
    Ohio
    Hey, sounds like a cool eb3 you're building. Are you also replacing the bridge pickup?

6. Count Bassie

Jun 10, 2006
    Smithfield, RI
    Thanks, tho' I'm not actually doing much building- just looking at a mod or two.

The project's changed a bit- I've had my bass looked over, and ended up keeping the original neck pickup. An electronics engineer friend who does work for me set me up with a "Treble Bleeder" jig, a resistor and cap between the pickup and volume pots. This tames the spikey, highly dynamic relationship between volume and tone that is activated by turning up the volume pots. My pickup wasn't microphonic at all, just kind of out of control...

Now I want to change the bridge pickup, however, as I think it's not really adding anything very favorable to the formula. I love the neck pickup, it's huge, round, bouncy and aggressively wooly. The neck is honky, smallish and kind of more annoying than anything. I thought about how it sums with the mix after listening to a band rehearsal we recorded, and my feeling is that I don't hear the bridge pickup pushing the upper end of the spectrum any, nothing is coming forward from it. I want some of that high-energy Kraaaaaaaaannnnnnngg! sound in there- even just a little. It's more like the toe of a boot bumping into a wooden door...

@ZenG I did find the proper buttons on the DiMarzio website, and got the pickup I was after. Now I'm returning it, and want to exchange it for a wider version (the DP 140, Will Power version) to replace the bridge pickup with. I'm thinking also of moving the bridge pickup a bit forward, away from the bridge... as it is now the pickup is jammed up to it pretty hard. That odd position might be part of the issue even.

7. Goy77

Goy77

Feb 28, 2017
    Ohio
    I heard that neck pickups for ric4001 for exactly in the bridge position for a eb3. I know SD makes one of those. I would assume that could give you real high end definition. Strings are always a thing to toy with.

Count Bassie likes this.
  8. Count Bassie

Jun 10, 2006
    Smithfield, RI
    A mate over in the Thunderbird Club put one of those in his EB-3, and posted a clip. Sounds pretty good actually! Added a nice hefty growl, good definition. But he's already done that now! Lol, I'm considering putting a Ric bridge p'up in. I've recently discovered that a bridge p'up is often hotter than a neck picup, because the strings don't move as much at the bridge, so there tends to be less output acoustically. Anyway, kinda after a Ric bridge p'up now.

Strings yes, good idea. I'm really liking the flats on it now though, don't know what they are, they came with the bass.

9. Don't know about a bridge pickup but The Model One is the one for the neck position. (EBO for me)

Count Bassie likes this.
  10. ctmullins

ctmullins fueled by beer and coconut Gold Supporting Member

Apr 18, 2008
    MS Gulf Coast
    I'm highly opinionated and extremely self-assured
    TV Jones Thunder’Mag would be awesome in the bridge.

blindrabbit likes this.
  11. Count Bassie

Jun 10, 2006
    Smithfield, RI
    What is that?

12. ctmullins

Apr 18, 2008
    MS Gulf Coast
    Thunder'Mag - Explosive Sound

I have one in the mid-position of a heavily modified EB-0. It’s amazing - fat on bottom, brash up top. Great for more aggressive/bold tones.

blindrabbit and Count Bassie like this.
  13. Count Bassie

Jun 10, 2006
    Smithfield, RI
    I will keep this on the Potential for Mods list, thanks!

ctmullins likes this.
  14. Axstar

Axstar Inactive

Jul 8, 2016
    Scotland.
    Yeah, Dimarzio could totally clarify this bit of advice. By 'longer scale basses' they are assuming that these basses have a fairly uniform Fender-flavour string spacing. This is a bit of an assumption! For your purposes you need the DP120, though I'm sure a DP145 wouldn't hurt. The DP145 is the neck pickup of the 'Will Power' set which is the Billy Sheehan signature pickups. As such it is designed to sit in the neck position of a Fender P bass.

Frankly the world needs more affordable mass-production Mudbucker replacement pickups. The Model One is the product of a slightly different era. It would be nice to see, say, Seymour Duncan have a crack at a good Mudbucker replacement.

Goy77 and Count Bassie like this.
  15. ctmullins

Apr 18, 2008
    MS Gulf Coast
    Not mass-production, and not quite as inexpensive as a Duncan might be, but Sentell has an “Unmudbucker” at the top of this page: Sentell Pickups bass guitar pickups. I like the acrylic cover!

Axstar likes this.
  16. Axstar

Axstar Inactive

Jul 8, 2016
    Scotland.
    Very cool!

I like the look of their Rickenbacker pickups. Looks like they are trying to make noiseless Ricky pickups that don't sound totally different to the original pickups.

Their unmudbucker looks cool. I'm not sold on the clear cover, but I'm wondering if it is just a place holder and you could install the pickup under your original cover.

blindrabbit likes this.
  17. Count Bassie

Jun 10, 2006
    Smithfield, RI
    I just wrote them an email about their Ric drop-in.. Looks an interesting option.

Axstar likes this.
  18. Axstar

Axstar Inactive

Jul 8, 2016
    Scotland.
    I wonder how they sound, given that they are configured as a sidewinder with a single row of poles. You must get *some* single coil essence from that setup.

19. Count Bassie

Jun 10, 2006
    Smithfield, RI
    No idea. I'd muse on it here, but the sidewinder in my EB-3 sounds pretty mudbucky to me! This is dark arts to me.

Axstar likes this.
  20. Axstar

Axstar Inactive

Jul 8, 2016
    Scotland.
    Is it an Epiphone or Gibson EB-3? An original Gibson has a fiercely overwound pickup. Crazily high inductance means that the thing has very limited top end. I think this is why, on Rivolis and other basses with those push switches, people think the control is a "bass boost" when in fact you are just getting the naked sidewinder tone.

A sidewinder pickup doesn't have to be muddy. The Bicentennial Thunderbirds had a sidewinder pickup design that was a lot more open sounding than anything mudbucker.

Count Bassie and ctmullins like this.