Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

DiMarzio Model 1, Will Power & X2N-B?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by HeavyDuty, Oct 7, 2002.

1. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    In my search for passive guitar humbucker-sized bass pickups, I've once again hit upon the DiMarzio "Model 1" DP120 and the "Will Power Neck" DP145. Plus there's the "X2N-B", which is supposed to be a real screamer.

How are these? Can anyone compare and contrast their tones compared to some other well-known pickups?

2. I have the Will Power Middle (DP146).

It replaced the Duncan Hot P because the Duncan was too hot in the mids and kind of honky sounding. The DP146 has more bottom, but still seems mid-rangey to my ears. The bass is strung with mature TI Jazz Flats.

I still think the original MIM split-P had more percussive effect than either the Duncan or DP146. To be fair, the DP146 is running pretty low in the body. I need to add more foam beneath it so I can push it closer to the 5/64" and 7/64" distance from the pickup to the strings.

3. HeavyDuty

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Bruce, my only problem with the DP146 is that it may not work too well after I squish it down to guitar humbucker size in my big red vise!

;)

4. Doink.

You are looking specifically for Gibson replacements. I forgot the Will Power Neck is a humbucker type that is probably a drop-in on a Gibson.

Doh

5. fremenblue

fremenblue

Jan 8, 2003
    Eugene, Or.
    HeavyDuty, if you're still out there, be patient. Help is on the way! :D I have a Yamaha Attitude Custom which I believe came stock with the X2N-B. Right now it's clear the hell up in Nova Scotia (I'm in Oregon) having a luthier build a new neck for it. When the bass gets back I will have in hand both the Willpower neck and middle pickups to put in, so I'll be able to offer comparison between the Willpower neck and the X2N-B, at least. The X2N-B may find a new life as a neck pup in my Ric. We shall see. . .I won't get rid of it, at any rate, it seems to be a discontinued pickup only available used or overseas.

fremenblue

6. HeavyDuty

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Thanks! I managed to find one a few months back, but haven't had a chance to install it...

7. fremenblue

fremenblue

Jan 8, 2003
    Eugene, Or.
    I guess it will be a dragrace then, to see who gets it on first. I haven't even really played through the X2N enough to talk about it. The neck on my Yammy was bad when I bought it and it's taken me a year to finally get off my butt and find a luthier to make a neck for me. I did play it a bit, not much. If for some reason I just love it to death and can't imagine replacing it then the Willpower neck will end up most likely in either my reissue '57 P or in a Dinky P/WP1 project down the line.

fremenblue

8. fremenblue

fremenblue

Jan 8, 2003
    Eugene, Or.
    Well, I didn't love the X2N-B enough to not want to try to drop in a Willpower One neck pup, though I should have been patient enough to try adding longer screws, foam and springs to it so I could adjust it vertically, see what I got out of it that way. But instead I dove in with dremel flailing away. I've still got the pup and have recently been smitten with the idea of dropping it in my P bass in the bridge position, putting my Moses graphite neck on, and redoing the electronics for tone/tone/blend/killswitch. From what I can gather, this pup really is more of a treble/bridge pup rather than neck woofer. We'll see, if I do actually follow through on this project idea. I'm warming up to it anyway.

9. Will Power + Model One in two pickups config are my next project of modifying one of my Warwicks.

10. Stealth

Stealth Supporting Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Zagreb, Croatia
    I recall someone making a pretty good combination of all three, but I think the X2NB was dropped in as a bridge pickup as it's pretty hotly wound and would sound too muddy anywhere else.