1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

DiMarzio Model J 1/2 dead!?!

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by knigel, Oct 30, 2010.

1. knigel

knigel

Apr 20, 2009
    Hopedale, MA
    I'm the Squier of Fenderbirds
    Hello all,

I searched and did not find this specifically addressed.

I just received and installed a DiMarzio Model P/J set. It seems that the D/G side of the J pickup is dead. Before I unleash hell and fury on the Ebay seller, I was wondering if there were a wiring thing I might address, or something I may be doing wrong. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

2. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Banned Commercial User

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    If you have a meter, check the green and white wires, and then the red and black wires. Those are the two coils. If you don't get a reading from one of those, the coil is open somewhere. Also check the lead wires for breaks.

Also make sure the magnets haven't popped off and been glued back on the wrong way. Like poles; North-North, or South-South; should be facing each other. If one has gotten flipped around you wont get much sound from that coil, if any at all.

So it has to be one of the above.

3. knigel

knigel

Apr 20, 2009
    Hopedale, MA
    Copy that, I'll check it out--got to find my roommates meter....hmmm....

4. knigel

knigel

Apr 20, 2009
    Hopedale, MA
    Okay, this thing looks like mission control. Into what do I put the red and black doodads? And what do I set it to?

Thanks!

Multimeter.

5. Remember that the Model J is a split coil pickup. (Or am I mistaken?)
    There is one coil for the EA and another for the DG, and since the standard wiring would be to place then in series, if one coil does not work, that would indicate a short across one coil. Have you accidentally grounded either the black or white wire?

6. renniw

renniw

Nov 30, 2004
    Lévis (Québec)
    Black probe on COM, red probe on A/OHM/BATT (two middle holes).

Turn the selector so it points on 20k.

To test, short red and black probes, meter should show 0.00

Then measure the wires as per David told you.

Make sure your skin do not touch the wires and or the metal part of the probes while you measure (to do that, I used to press the bare wire with the tip of the probe on a hard surface or wear gloves).

7. Set it to the 20K ohm range.

8. knigel

knigel

Apr 20, 2009
    Hopedale, MA
    Hmmm The black and white are soldered together on both the P an J (they are both split coils) and taped.

Mistakes I think I have made--Installing both pickups at the same time (leaving a mess of wires coming out of a single hole), using the crappy epiphone pots that were in the bass, and not doing the wiring step by step.

I'm going to sort out the P first, then the J. And now I know how to use the meter!

Thanks everyone! Expect updates with lots of questions.

9. knigel

knigel

Apr 20, 2009
    Hopedale, MA
    David--

The magnet thing is a little beyond my knowledge. Could you explain it a little more? I understand the north/north south/south, but how do I check to make sure they are correct?

I see the magnets on the DiMarzios are three separate pieces. Is that what you are talking about? Or the two different sets need to be north south?

My name is Donny, and I am officially out of my element.

donny_1.

10. SGD Lutherie

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    There should be four magnets under the pickup. Two on each coil, with the same pole facing the pole pieces.

Ceramic magnets are generally marked with one side painted white, or sometimes red, to designate North.

So you should be able to see if they are all facing the same way. One coil will be north, and the other will be south facing the pole pieces.

If you only have three magnets, then you are missing one, and the one on there might be facing the wrong way. That should be considered a damaged pickup. You might be able to get a replacement magnet from DiMarzio, or have them fix it. I've heard they are real good about swapping defective pickups.

11. knigel

knigel

Apr 20, 2009
    Hopedale, MA
    Okay, I think I'm getting this....

this is what I see:

DP123.

So, what you are saying is, each side needs to face the same direction, and one of the ends is marked so you know that they are going the same direction.

Do each pair face the same direction, or does each side face the wires? You may not know the answer to that.

Also, if 1/2 of the pickup worked, but not the other have, that rules out a broken lead, no? So it must be a magnet thing?

Is it this:

NNNN NNNN
    oooo oooo
    SSSS SSSS

Or:

NNNN SSSS
    oooo oooo
    NNNN SSSS

12. knigel

knigel

Apr 20, 2009
    Hopedale, MA
    Also, I'm not getting a reading off the J pickup. But it did work (1/2 anyway) when I had it installed. Thoughts?

13. knigel

knigel

Apr 20, 2009
    Hopedale, MA
    Thanks to everyone--I got it sorted out, and learned something--and something about myself--along the way. It was an epic journey of tears and laughs, and I think maybe we're all just a little bit better for going through it.

Also, maybe I just soldered it all better.

14. SGD Lutherie

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    The pickup looks good, as far as the magnets are concerned.

Take a reading of the red and black wires, one proble on the red and one on the black. Then do the green and white wires.

See if you get a reading on either.

15. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    ah, catharsis through troubleshooting; i know the feeling ;)

16. knigel

knigel

Apr 20, 2009
    Hopedale, MA
    Okay, just a couple more questions if you all have the time--

The output on the J is SIGNIFICANTLY quieter than the P. I have raised the J and lowered the P to ridiculous levels to balance the sound. Is that just the way it is, or is there something more I can trouble shoot?

Also, when the P is soloed, it is boomy and great. The J soloed is quiet, but not bad. Dime them both, and the output of both decreases. BUT, turn down the tone or the J, and it gets louder. Did I solder something wrong? What the heck is going on? Is there some sort of series/parallel deal that is going on that is beyond my abilities?

17. knigel

knigel

Apr 20, 2009
    Hopedale, MA
    Anyone?

18. danomite64

danomite64

Nov 16, 2004
    Tampa, Florida
    Sounds like you wired the pickups out of phase with each other, or one of the prongs on a pot is grounding out. If you go to Dimarzio's website, you can find the wiring diagram, and check your bass against it.

19. knigel

knigel

Apr 20, 2009
    Hopedale, MA
    I'm 99% on the wiring being okay (black and white together, red hot green ground?) but the pots are cheapos. What do you mean about the prong on the pot grounding out?

I mean, IIIIII know, I just want to see if you know....

Nah, I don't know.

20. danomite64

danomite64

Nov 16, 2004
    Tampa, Florida
    On the volume knobs, the pickup wire goes to the center prong, one side prong grounds to the pot body, and the 3rd prong has a wire connected to it going to the next pot. Sometimes the cavity is tight enough that if the pot gets a hair loose and rotates, that 3rd prong will come in contact with the side of the cavity, and if the cavity is shielded, it'll ground out.