Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Dimarzio model J in a 70s jazz bass

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by BassJunkie730, Sep 18, 2005.

1. BassJunkie730

BassJunkie730

Feb 3, 2005
    Brooklyn
    I thought I'd throw this out there for anyone who can comment.

I am very intrigued by all the dimarzio model J talk around here. Has anyone here loaded these into a jazz with 70s pickup placement, and ash body, and a quartersawn maple neck. Everything about the wood combo screams bright but I'm thinking the model J's can lend some low mid girth and maybe get some highs back due to the ash and maple.

What do you all think?

~michael

2. I have those pups in my 2004 MIM Fender Jazz Natural Ash. They're a tad hotter than stock, but not as bright. They won't be in my bass for long....

If you want highs, I'd strongly suggest Bill Lawrence J-45's. They're extremely clear, a bit hotter than stock, and have an even response from lows to highs. And dead quiet. And only $60 each. I haven't heard better bass pups at any price. Really. They force you to play well because each note cuts through with more clarity than either stock of Model J's do.

3. BassJunkie730

BassJunkie730

Feb 3, 2005
    Brooklyn
    That's just it - I'm really looking for an edgy rude in your face sound but I was worried that the ash/maple combo would clean up the model Js too much. So I take it that they still favor the low mids even in a bright bass. Cool.

Any other opinions?

~michael

4. Ian Hall

Ian Hall

May 31, 2002
    Rialto,CA
    I stuck a set of model J's in a korina body/wenge neck handbuilt I finished... they are quite fun so far. I had EMG's in it at first, then stock jazzes, both were too bright with a very hollow low end. I'm sure my bass sounds nothing like a 70's jazz, but I figured the experience I had with them may interest you. The model J's still have brightness when you try to get it out of them, they just add that missing beef in sparkly sounding basses IMO.