DiMarzio Model J in Geddy? Also: Darkstars, wow!

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by jmjbassplayer, Apr 4, 2005.

1. jmjbassplayer

jmjbassplayer Justin Meldal-Johnsen

Mar 25, 2005
    Hi there,

Anyone have this combination? I've got a stock Geddy and it's okay, but from all the searching I've done on this board, these DiMarzio's seem like very strong contenders. (I'm looking for a lot of punch and a very rockin', "non-hifi" sound).

Also, as an aside, I just put some Darkstars in my circa '00 Starfire II. Wow, they just sound incredible. What utterly smokin' pickups.

2. FireAarro

Aug 8, 2004
    What's wrong with the stock Geddy's I'm wondering?

Nice to hear the Dark Stars getting some comments here. I'm thinking of sticking them in a project bass...
  3. jmjbassplayer

Mar 25, 2005
    Stock are fine, just not a lot of output and a fairly mild personality. I need more output definitely, and a very punchy sound without too much top. Even the stock pickups are too bright for me.

Yeah, get the Darkstars, you'll be really happy you did.
  4. tekhna

Nov 7, 2004
    I wonder if those Darkstarts sound Walish.
  5. jmjbassplayer

Mar 25, 2005
    I have a couple of Wals as well, and the pickups are much brighter, more compressed sounding and more "modern" and refined sounding. The Darkstars are more dynamic, less hyped, and more old school fat sounding. Plus the Darkstars are not humbucking, they are actually single coils.
  6. tekhna

Nov 7, 2004
    Well dang it. One more pickup eliminated in the search to find something Walish.
  7. Fred Hammon

Fred Hammon Dark Star pickups

May 13, 2005
    Dark Stars in a Geddy.

8. WOW!

I'd like one of those, please. GAS Attack!

I was just drooling over the new Lakland Decade only yesterday and now this...

9. slowburnaz

Mar 27, 2002
    Tucson, AZ

Ok now... did you REALLY have to post that?! :rollno:

Now I've gotta go get a [​IMG] , thank you very much.

BTW, do you happen to have any soundclips of that beauty?

[​IMG] Anyone for more cowbell?
  10. Fred Hammon

Fred Hammon Dark Star pickups

May 13, 2005
    Nope. No sound clips.
    That bass belongs to Greg Rzab.
  11. big evil robot

big evil robot

Feb 27, 2005
    Edmonton, AB, Canada
    Innovations Music - Retailer
    model J's are great for a solid midrange punch. I have a set of old ones I'll probably be getting rid of sooner or later, I switched to soapbars for a more modern thump.

Nice!!! How does it sound???
  13. ebladeboi123

Jul 11, 2005
    Oberlin, Oh
    The Dark stars wouldn't fit a Jazz bass regularly right? So that person must've drilled the body.
  14. LizzyD

LizzyD Chocoholic

Oct 15, 2002
    Seattle, WA
    Sadowsky Artist
    What's that bass doing out in the garden? :D
  15. Sparkie

Nov 15, 2004
    Them beauties look kinda similar to the TV Jones Thundertrons......wonder how they stack up in all the vital catagories.....