1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Dimarzio Model J Issues.

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by billiam5billion, Nov 8, 2010.

1. I just installed some new dp123's in my Jazz bass, and they sound great, except that on the first 7 or so frets of the A string, it's really quiet. Everywhere else on the fretboard is booming, but the last 7 frets of that A almost sound like it's turned down and running through a chorus or something. Anybody got a suggestion?

2. Rick Auricchio

Rick Auricchio Registered Bass Offender

The pups might be too close to the strings.

3. Wouldn't that affect the whole string? Or more than just one string?

4. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Banned Commercial User

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    The farther up the neck you play, the closer the string gets to the pickup. That string might also be lower at the bridge.

The chorusing thing makes it sound like it's too close to the strings.

5. I guess I should re-word this, the LAST seven frets or so are dead, as in the 7 frets on the headstock end.

6. Bump for other opinions

7. SGD Lutherie

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    Loosen your truss rod a bit. That has nothing to do with the pickups. Your neck is back bowed.

8. But if it were the truss rod, wouldn't ALL the strings be actng up? It's just the A, just the last seven frets. Do strings go dead in certain spots but nowhere else? They're flats, if that has any bearing. Also, the truss rod, bridge, and strings haven't been changed at all since their initial setup, months ago. I'm really trying to avoid spending money on a tech, so thanks for your help.

9. SGD Lutherie

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    Is that string lower at the bridge? Also try lowering the pickup away from the low strings and see if it helps.

You had to loosen the strings when you installed the pickups. That often makes the neck back bow. Just check to see if the string is seated well at the bridge and that the bridge saddle didn't get lower. Also check the string for damage.

It's not the pickup though.

10. "T"

"T"

Apr 6, 2010
    Half assed opinion at best, but maybe the A string got twisted funky when you put it back on?

How old are the strings?

11. Bum string? A's seem to go bad sometimes (for some reason), I've had a few "dud out"

12. Thanks for the help, I think I'll just change the strings, I kinda wanted to go back to rounds anyway. I'll put the flats on my P and see if it acts the same way.

13. Update: Strapped for cash, so I just pulled the Diaddarios off my P bass and restrung the Jazz with em. The Dimarzios really came alive with the roundwound strings, and the dead zone is gone from my fretboard. Probably never going back to flats, unless I try some out on my P. Even then, no way am I buying Fender flats again, gonna stick to Diaddario from now on. I've heard good things about Chromes, so maybe when I have the money to spend...

Anyways, thanks for the help and the (totally correct) diagnosis.

14. "T"

"T"

Apr 6, 2010
    Obviously the most important thing is that you dig the tone of the new strings. I suspect what happened to the old strings as far as the dead thing may not be a manufacturing defect so much as installation issue that can happen especially when installing used strings.

The strings were bent for who knows how long at specific angles at both the bridge and the nut. When you take them off and put them back on, it's tricky to get them lined up in the same way.

Two things that work for me is to use as little string as needed. This also helps keep things more solidly in tune.

The second thing is when re-stringing a bass, start things at the neck and hold the string tight pulling it towards the bridge in the middle as close to the neck as you can and keeping the string as straight as you can so as the string tightens, the string actually rotates in the bridge until it makes contact solid enough where the string won't turn anymore. This gives the string it's most natural tension with as little twist as possible and give you the best chance of lining it up the same way it was lined up before.

It's all about avoiding twist.

Enjoy the Dimarzio's! :)

15. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    right, when winding the strings give the ball end every chance to spin freely so the string doesn't get too twisted.