dimarzio model j pickups distorting

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by timre, Jul 18, 2001.

1. timre

Jul 9, 2001
    Vancouver, BC
    Does anyone know why these pups would distort? I have lowered them down as far as I can and they still clip when I dig in. Would putting 500K pots in help this problem? I have heard that the 250k stock ones are meant for the single coils that come in J basses. I have had these pups in for about 4 months and have tried every adjustment now. I even resoldered all of my connections tonight to see if that would help. No change.
  2. Which pups, what bass,active or passive bass, maybe your battery, what amp. These pups are a higher output, (hotter) if your amp is too small, may not handle properly, or maybe bad amp, bad cable. Need more information here.
  3. oddentity

oddentity Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    I have the same pickups on my MIM Jazz... and I have heard some clipping too -- but only when I REALLY dig in. I put 500K pots on mine, but does that really make a difference in output? After I installed the 500K pots, I found the sound to be slightly darker but that's about the only difference.
  4. greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    Pickups do not "distort" per se as the word distortion is usually applied. They simply provide more or less signal -- and then something further down the signal chain may end up being overdriven. That would include an onboard preamp, which may be designed for lower output pickups (if you are using one), or the preamp in your head or rack. Which means you need to 1) plug into a lower-gain input or 2) lower your pre-gain so that the rest of the preamp/head has some headroom.

<-- greenboy ---<<<<
  5. I have a Model J at my bridge and I haven't had a problem with it pushing my amp too hard. I was actually sort of dissapointed that it didn't give me more output. It's mounted closer to the bridge than is normal for a bridge Jazz pickup, so that might have something to do with it.

For what it's worth, I am using 500k pots.