1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Dimarzio Model J Recommended Potentiometer resistance

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Paradox92, Jan 1, 2012.

1. Hello fellow TBer's! I'm preparing to swap out the electronics in my 77' Vintage Modified Squier jazz bass, and I'm replacing the Seymour Duncans with a pair of Dimarzio DP123 Model J split-coil pick-ups. I'm planning on having a push-pull pot in the neck volume to act as a series/parallel switch and a push-pull in the tone to switch between two different capacitors (a 0.047 and a 0.1) just for the added versatility. Now, the problem comes into play trying to decide whether I should put in 250K ohm or 500K ohm potentiometers to compliment the pick-ups. I've read some people putting in 500K, being that is "recommended by the manufacturer" and others go with the traditional Fender 250K. I know the theoretical outcome of each: slightly more output and treble response from the 500K, and not-so-much with the 250K. To people anyone with these pick-ups, what do you prefer or recommend? I'd hate to put the wrong part in and it totally sounding muddy or glassy. What's your experience? :confused:

2. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    they're kind of a dark pickup, so 500ks would be the best bet. you can always roll back the tone a pinch, but i doubt you'd need to.

get linear volumes and an audio tone for best sweep out of each pot.

also, the series/parallel thing might be pointless; parallel-wiring split-coils like P pickups or these just makes them kinda weak-sounding.

3. Thanks for the help Walter! Though, wouldn't I have an issue blending the pick-ups, since I'm using a VVT combination, if I wire the pick-ups in series rather than the Jazz's accustomed parallel circuitry?

4. BrBss

BrBss Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2010
    Albuquerque NM
    Another vote for 500k pots with those pups. I think Walter's comment on series/parallel wiring was referring to the wiring of each pickup individually, rather than the connection between the two pickups.

5. Thanks for the input, Brendan! Yeah, the diagram I am using is for the overall current between the two pick-ups rather than individually. My bad, I should have specified. Here's the schematics I was given:
    bass wiring
    Given that, is it still a good idea.

6. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    Get the 500k pots. I have 'em with the Model Js that are in my fretless four-string, and the sound is very nice: nothing is missing, with plenty of presence and character in the mids...that can easily be rolled back if you really don't want that.

I went through the same decision. In the end, "250k vs. 500k pots" turned out to be a non-issue. There's a reason why DiMarzio recommends 500k pots. Because they know their product. And because it's much easier to remove frequencies you really don't want (if necessary), than to try to ever add frequencies that weren't there in the first place.

Get the 500k pots and call it a day... :meh:

MM

7. walterw

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    aha.

yeah, if you're gonna wire the two pickups in series with each other, i recommend wiring them individually in parallel. you'll get the boost from the series-wiring, without them being too muddy.

if you go with regular jazz bass parallel wiring, stick to series-wiring them individually.

8. lefty007

lefty007

Jan 19, 2004
    Miami, FL
    It also depends on the type of music that you play and the amp you have. I have 250Ks with my Dimarzio Js for years, and for the music and setup I have, they work perfectly. I use modern amps and cabs with tweeters, and add just a bit of treble "sometimes." I'm not going for a Marcus Miller sound, but more of a balanced sound with still lots of clarify. And if I want more sheen I just add more highs.

But if you play through an Ampeg or old amp with no tweeter, then 500K might saved you from sounding muddy. Or if you are going for an agressive sound, then I agree that 500K might be the best option.

I recently added a Dimarzio P to a P-Bass, and was also wondering whether I should use 250K or 500K. I went for 250K and to my ears it provides all the treble I could need.

In sum, you can't go wrong with either, nothing that EQ or your tone knob can't fix.

9. walterw

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    i'll buy that.

i'm in the "aggressive/no tweeter" camp, so it's 500ks for me.