Dimarzio Model J Review

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by MascisMan, Mar 14, 2004.

1. MascisMan

Nov 21, 2003
    Dallas, Tx
    Hey guys took the plunge on some Model J's for my Hwy 1 J-Bass so here is my review.

I get some awesome beefy lows and low mids (which is what I was looking for mainly) with the pups wired parallel. Couldnt imagine what it would be like in series! I also am trying out some new strings as well, D'Addario Prisms. I think the brightness and crispness of these strings definitely bring out the highs in the Model J's. So now my setup is pretty much awesome all around. Im getting the lows and low mids I want along with great highs via the stainless strings. Also have a BAII bridge on the bass and the sustain is endless.

Playes the guitar for the first time in a band environment tonight (with the new strings and pups) and it performed unbelievably! Everyone commented on the more full and crisp/clean sound I was getting over the stock pups.

Current setup that this was played on was an Ampeg B2R (acting as a preamp) into a QSC 1850HD into an Ampeg SVT-410HLN. Tomorrow the B2R will be taken out for a BBE Bmax. Cant wait to try that!
  2. Beefbass

Beefbass Guest

Feb 4, 2001
    If you really want to get a lot out of those tone wise, you can wire in 2 push/pull volume control pots. The wiring diagram is available from Dimarzio. However, even in parallel mode, they sound awesome IMHO. Run those bad boys in series though, and the tone would be VERY fat.

My fretted MIM jazz is like that. I have the ultrajazz pickups wired to those pots, and it makes it very versatile.

Either way though, you have great pickups. My fretless jazz has Model j's. HUGE improvement over the stock pups.
  3. MascisMan

Nov 21, 2003
    Dallas, Tx
    Thanks Beefbass I have to agree with you. These pups rule. Yeah I was thinking of putting a push pull pot to switch between series and parallel.