1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Dimarzio Model J set up

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by enemybass, Apr 16, 2010.

1. enemybass

enemybass

Jan 3, 2008
    london
    I got a set of Model J's in my fender geddy
    did have 500k pots with .47 cap and was a bit too bright and clanky
    so Installed 250k pots with same cap sweet mids & bottom and it doesnt go bright enough when I need it

My question is

Is there a way to have some more variety on my bass I do like the dark bassy sound but I also want to be able to get the brightness when needed
    I dont want to spend lots of cash and I do want to stay passive

2. king_biscuit

king_biscuit Supporting Member

May 21, 2006
    US
    Wire the pickups so that you can switch each one individually from series to parallel. The standard wiring is series and pretty dark. In parallel mode you will get all of the highs you want!

3. enemybass

enemybass

Jan 3, 2008
    london
    Forgot to add I did have the series / parallel switching wired when it was with 500k pots but I found the parallel setting pretty useless its not musch brighter than series but just looses all of its ballsy sound so went back to 250k standards

4. Rick Auricchio

Rick Auricchio Registered Bass Offender

How about changing strings to something brighter?

Also, a .47 cap is very large. Do you mean .047? Usually a cap less than 0.1 is what's used.

5. king_biscuit

May 21, 2006
    US
    I have wired Model Js on a Jazz bass with 250k pots, and the difference in series and parallel (for each pickup) is very noticeable.

6. king_biscuit

May 21, 2006
    US
    I got tired of the model J sound in short order, though, and realized I definitely prefer single coil pickups!

7. enemybass

enemybass

Jan 3, 2008
    london
    no dont get me wrong there was a big difference between series & parallel
    one sounded great and ther other sounded totally flat and lifeless

anyway im not looking for suggestions on strings sereis parallel or equipment
    only on the wiring of pots , caps etc
    all Im asking is
    Is there a way of going from a bright 500k sound to a dark 250 sound
    I dont use the extremes of either so if there was a way to get it to sit in the middle id be happy or a way of using the full range would be even better

Any suggestions?

8. enemybass

enemybass

Jan 3, 2008
    london
    Ok
    If I go back to the 500k pots is there some way I can get more range on my tone pot to get it sounding dark like the 250k's if need be
    like a higher value cap or something?

9. NKBassman

NKBassman Lvl 10 Nerd Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Winnipeg, MB, Canada
    What kind of strings are you using? Try a set of Rotosound 66 stainless steel roundwounds, they have all the 'zing' you could ever ask for.

10. darkstorm

darkstorm

Oct 13, 2009
    Keep the 250k pots. raise the pole peices on the pups. Dimarzio J's like their P's get brighter when you raise the pole peices. Also raise the bridge pups itself to just shy of too high. This also helps dimarzios give their full voice from solid lows thru upper treble overtones. The .047 is std value for cap. This should solve your problem unless your needing boost around 6k in which case 2 band preamp with treble center at that value will give that extra edge when wanted and also give better full freq signal in long cable runs. Instead of just soloing the bridge pup, Start with neck and bridge both full on, then roll back the neck pup slowly to desired tone tweak for treble emphasis.

11. enemybass

enemybass

Jan 3, 2008
    london
    I got the pups as high as I can get em without hitting them with my strings
    I really cant deal with raising the individul poles they are real sharp and have actually drawn blood lol

12. darkstorm

darkstorm

Oct 13, 2009
    Humm, they must have changed their pole peices. Ones I'm familair with use allen wrench to adjust them up or down. No sharp edges etc to them. About 1/16 or just tad more, above pup cover has been my fave positioning for them when Ive had basses with. The height you indicate is about right, but a half turn lower maybe better.

Dimarzios are a bit too smooth for my preferance, not as crunchy as I like. But still, I'm somehwat puzzled about your not haveing enough treble content available. Perhaps the tone pot you put in is somehow defective and draining treble even when full up for most treble? Any chance lead for the cap is shorting out instead of controlled bleed thru turning the pots control?

13. enemybass

enemybass

Jan 3, 2008
    london
    they may have changed em but i got an original set from 79 yours would be the changed ones lol

14. praisegig

praisegig Supporting Member

Jul 7, 2008
    Stephenville, TX
    With my basses I use a .068 cap and 250K pots, that give me a dark to bright tone that I like using. Try changing cap values, up from .047 to .10, you might find one you like. It's all in your ear not ours.

15. enemybass

enemybass

Jan 3, 2008
    london
    ok no body seems to get what im asking
    I dont want string rccomendations , different pickups or a new pedal

I like the sound of my bass with 500k pots & a .047 cap and would be using the bright grindy sound most of the time but would like to be able to go to the dark sound of the 250k with the turn of a tone knob or a flick of a switch

is this possible if so how ?

16. try a Pm to Line6man, he's the wiring guru around here, in fact I'm surprised he's not joined in by now :).

17. Maybe some kind of varitone circuit, you could change the resistance with the turn of a knob.

You should search on these, sorry I can't help more, I've never used one.

18. Bardley

Bardley

Nov 16, 2007
    Louisville, KY
    +1

19. enemybass

enemybass

Jan 3, 2008
    london
    Ok another idea Im having
    a 250k pot is a resistor so could I not just run the 500k pots and put a switched resistor in to go back to the sound of the 250k pots ?

20. Jim C

Jim C Is that what you meant to play or is this jazz? Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Bethesda, MD
    +1 although it wasn't that I was tired of them but rather they had a very fat generic sound without the articulation and growl of single coils

Great for many applications and closer to a P bass sound; just not what I'm looking for these days: IMO