Dimarzio Model J/Shielding Installation

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by BassManPatsFan, May 17, 2005.

1. BassManPatsFan

BassManPatsFan Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2004
    San Francisco
    Hey guys,
    I just got a set of dimarzio model js for my warwick corvette standard 4 string and I plan on installing them myself. However, I was wondering if anyone knows some place where I can get instructions on how to install these because the ones that came with the pickups only talked about vol-vol-tone setups whereas I have master-blend-tone. i would assume that the wiring would be different so help is greatly appreciated. I just took the cavity cover off my bass and took and peak inside and it seems to me that the model js are rather different than the mecs htat i have right now because right now theres only one white wire from each pickup going into the control cavity and both of these wires are soldered to teh blend pot. This is where I am not sure what to do because the dimarzios ahve four wires although i know taht the black and white ones are supposed to be connected to eachh other (or i think). How would i go about wiring this setup??? any diagrams would be greatly appreciated.

Also, I plan on fully shielding my control cavity while I install the pikcups and I know there are two ways to do this; copper foil and shielding tape. First of all can these both be found at a normal hardware store? And also how would one go about shielding? I figure the tape you would just cover the wood in the cavity with it but for the foil do u glue it down or what?

Thanks in advance everyone.
  2. Lyle Caldwell

Lyle Caldwell

Sep 7, 2004
    I strongly recommend that you read the Pickups FAQ. And no, you can't get shielding copper foil at the hardware store, but you can get it from www.stewmac.com for about $12.
  3. BassManPatsFan

BassManPatsFan Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2004
    San Francisco
    ok thanks...I have read a lot of that stuff. basically what im wondering is if i follow the same instructions that dimarzio provides for a vol-vol-tone bass and maybe im just supposed to solder the hot wire from each pickup to teh legs of the blend pot and the cold ones to the bottom of the same pot? Which legs do i solder to though? and also I'm a little confused on teh black and white wires. am i supposed to solder the black from one pickup to teh white of the same pickup or to the black of the otehr pickup orrrr to the white of the other pickup?

Also, for shielding is normal kitchen use aluminum foil ok to use? Do i need to solder and ground wires to it or can i just glue it to the control cavity?

as you can all tell, I'm VERY new to this. Andddd I'm only fourteen so I'm no electronic expert or anything. Don't worry my dad will be helping me and I have soldered some wires for speakers with him before so im not a total noob. Help is greatly appreciated.
    p.s. i have a big gig this sunday and would love to have my new pups installed so if yall could help asap that would be wonderful. thanks
  4. karrot-x

karrot-x Banned

Feb 21, 2004
    Omicron Persei 8
    I'm interesting in this subject as well. I want to check out the shielding paint instead of foils, I hope it works as well.