*DiMarzio Model J vs. DiMarzio Ultra Jazz*

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Mara, Jan 14, 2001.

1. Mara

Jan 11, 2001
    Ok people help me out here. Any experiences on the DiMarzio Model J and/or DiMarzio Ultra Jazz pickups? I want to replace my Peavey Milestone III pickups. Which one should I go for? I want a sound that rocks (deep, clear and punchy).
  2. notduane

Nov 24, 2000
    Hey Mara! What kinda' amp do you have? (fill-out that profile :D )
    That also plays a big part in the sound you're goin' for.

There are a bunch of threads that discuss these two pups.
    Click on "search" (that globe thingy at the top of the page) and enter
    DiMarzio Model J or DiMarzio Ultra Jazz and hit enter.
    There are also a lot of threads that discuss Peavey basses :) .

I couldn't get through to the Peavey website. One thing I wanted to check
    was a pic of the Milestone to see if the two J-types were the same size.
    Most J-type pup sets are sold in "bridge" and "neck" pairs.
    This is because they are slightly different in size. Is this the case
    on your Milestone? If not, you'll have to get two bridge types or two neck types.
  3. j3b3r

Aug 19, 2000
    if you looking for a jazzbass tone so you should get a model j pups. they'll give u more middle

but if you want to get a nice slap tone u should get ultra jazz. they'll give u bass and treble

I used ultrajazz on my MIM jazzbass, afterthen i change to EMG J-set.

EMG's are better :)
  4. The Ultrajazz are humbuckers(they look like stock single-coils) and so are noiseless. I have a pair on one of my basses, and I like them. Notduane is right, whichever pups you go with, you'll need to check which combination your Peavey has.
  5. The DP123 Model J's are each individually humbucking too. It's like the 2 coils of a P pickup laid end to end in a J pickup package. I have the Model J's on both my Jazz basses and dig them, one cream set, one black set.

6. SlapDaddy

Mar 28, 2000
    I also use the 123's on my jazz fretless and they can go DEEP! They are very nice.
  7. Mara

Jan 11, 2001

I play my Peavey Milestone III through a Peavey Combo 300 with a single 15" driver (I will be purchasing a 2x10" or 4x10" to top up the highs, this setup would produce then an output of 300W). As far as I know the mics in my bass are identical, no mention about them in the peavey www -pages. I think they sell DiMarzio Model J's and Ultra Jazzes in pairs too, eg. a ready set... I'm not sure though.
  8. notduane

Nov 24, 2000
    Yikes :eek: ! That should do it (for the tone you're goin' for)
    You're right, they do :) . What I was gettin' at was to make sure that the
    ones you're installing have the same physical dimensions as the ones on your bass.
    For instance: I've got an old Ibanez 5-string with 2 J-pups. Unlike a vast majority
    of basses that use 2 J-pups, the ones on the Ibanez are identical in size.
    I thought this might be the case on your bass. Just something to double-check ;) .
  9. Mara

Jan 11, 2001
  10. notduane

Nov 24, 2000
    Thank you :D . The "in the house" stuff is what I currently have. The "gone but not forgotten" stuff I had in the past.
    It was either traded for somethin' else or wound-up in the pawn shop.
    I think it was Geddy that really started it all for me.
    That first Rick (4003) was pretty sweet. Burgundyglo, fast neck.
    I coulda' done with an unbound board. I was young & stupid and didn't know that
    was an option. But it's tone was sweet!...gurgle, gurgle. Matter of fact,
    I played it through a big ol' Peavey combo ;) .

You may NOT wanna' go here ~ http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?threadid=10443
    Actually, a lot of Geddy's sound came from an old Fender Jazz - two single coil pups -
    (hey! just like your Milestone). Fender now sells the "Geddy Lee" model.

[Edited by notduane on 01-18-2001 at 10:29 AM]
  11. I dug up this thread from the archives.

After a couple years of being dormant, has anybody got new information to add here?

I'm looking to hear input from users who specifically have played both the Model J and the Ultra Jazz, and can objectively compare them.
  12. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Someone said the Ultra Jazz gives a nice slap tone and the model J gives you more middle. How might something sound with a model J in bridge and an Ultra Jazz in the neck position? How would this work out? Seems like it'd be perfect for me, but would the two pickups just have to much of a contrast to play nice?

I have a high probability of picking up a Geddy Lee siggy for Christmas (splitting on the cost with the folks, and then paying their costs back over the following months) and I want to replace the pickups if I get it. That way, the Geddy would sound awesome, as opposed to just regular awesome, and I could put the American Vintage pups in my Samick P/J.
  13. newbold

Sep 21, 2008
    I've been looking around to find Jazz pickups and I can't find a 5 string set of Model J's

Does DiMarzio even make them? Couldn't find anything on their website.

How much more middle does the Model J have? I plan on putting them near the sweet spot a la thumb bass.
  14. i had the same 2 options narrowed down when i was deciding to upgrade my pups. i chose the Ultra jazz. it has killer slap but you can still dial in the more mid heavy tone. i think for you the model J would suit you better as it has more mids naturally (in my experience!)
  15. newbold

Sep 21, 2008
    but I can't find a 5 string set.

I'm cryin' here- Better call a waaaaambulance.
  16. musicelectronix

Jul 8, 2007
    Hüstın, TX
    Lead Designer, Zeibek Boutique Pedals
    Ok, you already said you don't see it at dimarzio.com. I can only assume a google search did not come up with much. So ask yourself: Have I no respect for the dead?

You resurrected a thread died in 2001, which already had been brought to life after 2 years it was dead in 2003 (and die again shortly as a zombi), only to ask a question you already knew the answer to. :D
  17. Filip Burdon

Filip Burdon

Jan 16, 2012
    Warsaw Poland
    Bass player in https://www.facebook.com/AreonStoner?fref=ts
    And which of those two pickups would sound better with the model P ?
  18. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
  19. Filip Burdon

Filip Burdon

Jan 16, 2012
    Warsaw Poland
    Bass player in https://www.facebook.com/AreonStoner?fref=ts
    Does anyone have any recordings of a bass withe the model P and J ?
    Would love to hear how it sounds.

Nov 25, 2007
    The UJ's have alot of mids in my ash/maple jazz! I get that old school and modern vibe from em'! They are the best pickups out there IMO!!!