1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Dimarzio Model J with a preamp?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by klaus486, Aug 18, 2012.

1. klaus486

klaus486

Jun 27, 2009
    portland or
    sales geek Portland Music co.
    Tried to search with no avail.....

Is anyone out there running the Dimarzio DP123 Model J set with a preamp?

What are your impressions?
    Which preamp are you using?

Just thinking it would make my bass more versatile.

I was considering the Pope as it has all the features I would want but is expensive. I'd be willing to spend the dough but want some impressions first.....

2. slyjoe

slyjoe Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2008
    Valley of the Sun (AZ)
    I have an Audere 3-band in a J with the DP123s. I also have an Audere 4-band in a P+J with Dimarzios.

In my opinion it definitely makes the bass more versatile. With the active blend it also feels a lot more intuitive to get the sound you are after. Two volumes and a tone never really did it for me (I know, heresy).

It doesn't necessarily get you exactly the passive J sound, but it gets a lot of great sounds - very transparent with no noise, and a cool blue LED :)

It provides the sounds I need live. Haven't used it in a recording environment, but I can't see a downside. I would not hesitate to use the Model J and Audere combo again.

3. thepontif

thepontif

Apr 24, 2004
    Designer Fodera Guitars/Michael Pope Design, Inc., Trickfish Amplification
    I don't think there are many preamps that would disagree with J-bass style pups.

4. tonymcbony

tonymcbony

Mar 21, 2006
    Are you running each of your Model J's in Parallel or series?

5. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    I'm running a set of Model Js with a Bartolini NTMB 3-band onboard preamp. It's a fine combination for the fretless four-string instrument in which it lives: all the deep, gooey goodness of the Model Js, with even more tonal options. What's not to love? :smug:

MM

6. darkstorm

darkstorm

Oct 13, 2009
    I put those in a early 80's Wasburn abt force bass with very good success. Kept the stock preamp, was upgrade to the emg select J's that it had stock.

7. klaus486

klaus486

Jun 27, 2009
    portland or
    sales geek Portland Music co.
    Thanx for the responses guys. I think a Pope 4 band is in my future.

8. slyjoe

slyjoe Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2008
    Valley of the Sun (AZ)
    Sorry it took a while to get back to this thread - parallel.

9. jbrew73

jbrew73

Dec 24, 2006
    My ns4cr Spector with the hazlab copy has a model j in the bridge position. I like the sound much better than the stock emg. Actually gives it more of the classic spector grind.