1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Dimarzio Model J

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Kuchar, Apr 21, 2009.

1. Kuchar

Kuchar

May 31, 2006
    Michigan
    Hey guys, just got a quick question I hope someone can help me with. I've decided to buy the model J pups for my MIM fender jazz, except, I'm not sure if I can buy the 2 pack or if I have to buy them individually. The pickups on my bass appear to be the same size, however, it says in the specs that the shorter pickup is only like, a 10th of an inch smaller, and I can't figure out which ones I need.

Here are some pics, sorry for poor quality

100_0265.
    100_0268.
    100_0267.
    100_0266.

Can anyone tell me for sure if the package deal is what I want? Or if I need two long ones.

Thank you. Kevin

2. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    These do appear to be the same size... :meh:

From what I've gathered, the MIM Jazz Bass uses two of the neck dimension (i.e. shorter) J pickups - not the bridge dimension. But as I've haven't owned an MIM, I can't tell ya for sure.

You really should just measure these babies to be sure. Then order the Model Js to match...

MM

3. Jaco who?

Jaco who?

May 20, 2008
    I ordered the pair and routed the bridge cavity just a tad wider. It's not a big deal at all. I didnt have a router, so I used a drill with a 1/4" bit and carefully trimmed maybe 1/16 of an inch off of each side.

4. Gopher Bob

Gopher Bob

Nov 24, 2001
    Florida
    I'm not the best at pickups but....

I bought a warmoth body a few years back that had "standard" jazz pickup holes pre-drilled. I got the bridge and the neck pickup dimarzio dp123's I think they were called? Anway fit perfect and I assume warmoth's standard jazz size would be fender's standard jazz size.

5. slyjoe

slyjoe Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2008
    Valley of the Sun (AZ)
    For a MIM body, you probably need a shorter bridge pickup. DP123S is the model. Order two.

The set comes with a DP123S and DP123L.

Hopefully, the price of two DP123S = DP123 set.

6. you should call dimarzio and explain your situation, i'm sure they'll be able to help you out. can't hurt!

7. honestjohnny

honestjohnny

Nov 24, 2006
    Bestbassgear.com has the dimensions on their website. Just measure your existing pickups and get the same measurements.

8. Beyer160

Beyer160

Dec 20, 2008
    NC
    From what I understand, the MIMs changed to standard pickup sizes at some point but I don't remember when. Try measuring your pickups.

9. The pickups on my '95 MIM were both bridge size (longer), so there was no cutting necessary when I installed a DP123 set.

I'd suggest measuring your pickups and compare them to the Dimarzio specs. If your bass is like mine, you could go with either the DP123 set or two bridge pickups. If not, get whichever pickups most closely match your existing ones.

10. danomite64

danomite64

Nov 16, 2004
    Tampa, Florida
    2003; the same time they quit using Strat knobs and started using Jazz knobs.

11. Kuchar

Kuchar

May 31, 2006
    Michigan
    Darn, was hoping I wouldn't have to use my incompetent skills to figure this out ;) I'll try measuring them. Is the bridge pickup supposed to be short as in left to right, meaning from the E string to the G string. or up to down, meaning like.. thinner?

Thanks

12. Jaco who?

Jaco who?

May 20, 2008
    The MIM bridge pickup hole in your bass is shorter, from the E to the G string, than the standard sized model J pair that would fit in an un-modified USA jazz. Like I said before, the difference is around 1/16 of an inch per side.

You can order two neck pickups, but I found the price difference rediculous enough to modifiy mine. I also didn't like the idea of distance between the pole peices on the bridge pick-up being the same is the neck pick up, even though it's likely not enough difference to worry about.

13. so does my 08 mim jazz have the shorter bridge pup or the longer "standard" pup? -joep

14. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    Definitely DO buy the Model Js. Very good pickups IMO/IME.

And yes the bridge pup should be larger.

One other thing is that the Model Js are very deep and its a bit of a pain to get them to fit in the pup cavities.

15. interp

interp Supporting Member

Apr 14, 2005
    Garmisch, Germany
    If you decide to buy a standard set of DiMarzio dp123's (i.e. one short, one slightly longer) I have a set for sale. PM me for details.