1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

DiMarzio Model J's or Lindy Fralins??????

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Big Cadillac, Apr 13, 2006.

1. I have a 75RI MIJ Jazz which is my experimental platform. The body is ash with maple neck. I prefer a deeper (darker) tone over something bright. Something that will give me a little classic, vintage vibe when I need it. Can anyone give me an opinion? DiMarzio or Lindy??

2. Hemitom

Hemitom

Oct 12, 2005
    BC,Canada
    I've tried both in my Fender 04 Geddy Lee,along with a set of Custom Shop 60's.My pick was the Model J's.Nice deep edgy tones but lots of bite and aggression when you need it. The 60's had a nice vintage vibe while the Fralins raised the bar a notch with their buttery smoothness.

3. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    the Fralins are closer to a vintage vibe imo. The DM's sound great, but I wouldn't call it a vintage sound.

4. LoveThatBass

LoveThatBass

Jun 28, 2004
    Fralin

5. LoveThatBass

LoveThatBass

Jun 28, 2004
    Fralin's are worth the money

6. Lorenzini

Lorenzini

Dec 31, 2004
    Los Angeles
    If you want that vintage, get Fralins.

7. +1

DiMarzio are too agressive.

8. Showdown

Showdown Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I've used both. Fralins all the way.

9. DiMarzio's have more of a dark and aggressive sound, which is what im looking for personally, but i dont think i would say they sound vintage

10. BassJunkie730

BassJunkie730

Feb 3, 2005
    Brooklyn
    Duncan antiquity II, search the forum - they get mas kudos round here.

11. LoveThatBass

LoveThatBass

Jun 28, 2004
    If you cannot afford Fralins I have heard the Antiquity II's are very good and reasonable.
    Nordstrand are also good pickups.

12. Fralins are nice, but I went with Duncan Antiquity II's. Major warm 60's growl!

13. Sounds like the Duncan Antiquity II's are good too. I'll have to check out the info on those too! Too many choices, but that's not a bad thing.

14. Joe Smithberger

Joe Smithberger Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2002
    Canton, Ohio, USA
    The Fralins and Duncans are definitely more vintage sounding. Personally, I am a P bass/Musicman guy and love the model J's. (Shameless plug alert) I have a set of Antiquity IIs in the classifieds here because they sounded like the USA Fender pickups only warmer and smoother.

15. Darth Tater

Darth Tater

May 20, 2005
    DiMarzio Ultra J's. They've been my favorite J pickups in the under $100 class for a while now.

The beauty of them is that they are actually dual coil so they are noiseless, plus you can wire them with a push/pull pot for series/parallel. Go from growling to dark with a flick.