1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Dimarzio Model One in a jazz bass...

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Topspin, Dec 27, 2011.

1. Topspin

Topspin What's my name again?

Dec 15, 2010
    Oklahoma
    I played Tom Sawyer with a pick once. Shame on me.
    So I have a MIM jazz. I've had Fender CS 60's pups in it for two years, and it sounds great. Nevertheless, I have two problems:

1. I want a ballsy-er, deeper sound.

2. I've been itching to do SOMETHING to the bass. :D

So I was thinking I could change things up a bit (well, more than a bit) and put a Dimarzio Model One in the neck position and rewire the jazz pickups in series. 1 volume for the jazz pickups, 1 for the Dimarzio.

Thoughts and opinions?

Thanks in advance. :hyper:

2. T-34

T-34

Aug 11, 2005
    France, Paris region
    Model Ones are made for smaller string spacing than what you have on your Jazz... May still work though...

3. NKBassman

NKBassman Lvl 10 Nerd Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Winnipeg, MB, Canada
    String spacing shouldn't be that big a problem. Model One's have been known to be installed in neck position on P basses...

Before you go routing your bass, I'd just try the series mod first. That alone will give you a bassier, gnarlier sound.

4. akmusicfreak

akmusicfreak

Sep 6, 2008
    Alaska
    I'd agree with this as well. I put a series/parallel switch on my jazz pups and had good results. So much so I just took the switch out rewired my bass to only run in series.

5. Just install a pair of DiMarzio Model J's

G.

6. Topspin

Dec 15, 2010
    Oklahoma
    I went ahead and wired the pups in series. It kinda sounds like a jazz pickup and a p pickup did the dirty and produced a badass bastard of tones. I love it.

BUT...

Damn the torpedos, I'm still gonna put in a Model One. :D

7. grisezd

grisezd

Oct 14, 2009
    Ohio
    Put a model 1 in my 32' warmth jazz and it is the bomb. Totally go for it!

8. Topspin

Dec 15, 2010
    Oklahoma
    THAT'S what I like to hear! Have any soundclips or videos of it? If not, can you attempt to describe the tone?

9. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    Put in a 4 band Audere preamp. Then you can dial in any tone you want.

Or instead of the model one get the will power pickup. It is the same pickup as the model one but it is designed for wider string spacing.

10. grisezd

grisezd

Oct 14, 2009
    Ohio
    No clips, but what I noticed is that the model one has a thicker tone, but not muddy. It is a great counterbalance to a bright neck pu. If your string spacing isn't narrow, though, you might be better off with the will power version

11. Coolhandjjl

Coolhandjjl Supporting Member

Oct 13, 2010
    Appleton
    I put a Model J in the neck position, and left the stock Seymour Duncan SJB-1 in the bridge on one of my Hamer Cruise Basses. I wired the Model J with a push/pull so its coils can be run in series or parallel. I love the tone. With GHS Precision Flats, it gives me a full thick tone, or I can pull up the push/pull for a woodier hollower tone when needed.

12. Topspin

Dec 15, 2010
    Oklahoma
    I went ahead and bought the Will Power. I'm looking forward to doing surgery next week. :D I'm pretty confident I know what I'm doing as far as routing for a pickup goes, but if anyone has any advice, fire away.

13. Topspin

Dec 15, 2010
    Oklahoma
    So much for a week. I ordered standard shipping, but got one day instead. Thanks Musicians Friend. :D

Let the sawdust fly...

14. jschwalls

jschwalls

Sep 4, 2007
    Savannah GA
    I agree with the series mod.. mad a HUGE difference when I owned a Geddy for a short time...

I am a P bass man. and I couldnt live with the sound of the Geddy until I performed the mod.

15. NKBassman

NKBassman Lvl 10 Nerd Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Winnipeg, MB, Canada
    I already have Model J's in my Geddy, but I may try a series push/pull eventually as well.

16. Coolhandjjl

Coolhandjjl Supporting Member

Oct 13, 2010
    Appleton
    Let us know how it goes!

17. Topspin

Dec 15, 2010
    Oklahoma
  18. grisezd

grisezd

Oct 14, 2009
    Ohio
  19. groove pump

groove pump

Oct 24, 2006
    One glance at that photo and what song popped into my tiny brain?

GOD OF THUNDER dah-da dahhh AND ROCK 'N RO-oo-OLL!!!

Nice job, indeed...

20. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago