1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Dimarzio Model One in a jazz bass...

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Topspin, Dec 27, 2011.

1. Topspin

Topspin What's my name again?

Dec 15, 2010
    Oklahoma
    I played Tom Sawyer with a pick once. Shame on me.
    2 volumes and a tone. One volume for the Dimarzio, and one for the two jazz pickups, which are wired in series.

Thanks for the compliments. :D

2. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Ahhhh...cool! Any plans for sound clips (please, please)?

3. NKBassman

NKBassman Lvl 10 Nerd Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Winnipeg, MB, Canada
    That's cool man, glad you like it!

4. grisezd

grisezd

Oct 14, 2009
    Ohio
    When I put the model one in my fretless jazz (in the "neck" J position, about one coil towards the neck) the very first thing I played was God of Thunder. I just finished rewiring a project bass (single MM pickup, passive) to series wiring and played the same thing. Something about humbuckers and SERIES!

5. Topspin

Dec 15, 2010
    Oklahoma
    I don't believe I have the right equipment to record, but I'll see if I can work something out.

It's just ridiculous how much fun this bass has become. God of thunder is right... I think I'm gonna name the bass Thor. :D

6. Topspin

Dec 15, 2010
    Oklahoma
    Well this is getting more into luthiery than pickups/electronics, but I figure some of you might be interested anyway. ;)

Since I'm pretty much going crazy with this modding thing, I decided to go absolutely overboard and buy a new neck (left handed maple SX with MOP block inlays, $40). I also got a headless conversion kit. Pics in a week or so. :D

7. Coolhandjjl

Coolhandjjl Supporting Member

Oct 13, 2010
    Appleton
    On the DiMarzio site, there is a pic of Billy Sheehan with a custom bass, and his is right up to the fretboard.

One of the reason Rics have been able to get such deep fundamentals is ever since the 4001 was introduced, they've had the neck pup right up there.

8. tewtewvu

tewtewvu

Jan 1, 2012
    Texas
    I have the same exact pickup setup as Topspin (2 jazz singles and a Dimarzio Will Power DP145 in the neck) i bought the guitar like this but when i opened the electronics plate, the will power wasn't even wired to anything lol. i want to be able to use all three of them and wire them up as Vol/Vol/Vol/Tone (that's the only way it makes sense to me? unless there is a better way) do any of you wiring gurus know how i should wire this up? i plan on getting new pots and wires anyway and redo it all. i know i should probably get 250k pots for the j pickup volumes and tone but should i get a 500k for the dp145? and what about caps? i have basic soldering knowledge as long as i have a diagram but this is such a weird setup that i can't find anything online. can anyone help? i would really appreciate it.

9. tewtewvu

tewtewvu

Jan 1, 2012
    Texas
    Here are some pics of my guitar. I hope the wiring will work out.

IMG_2557.gif

IMG_2554.gif

10. Topspin

Dec 15, 2010
    Oklahoma
    I don't know the exact details of the wiring, but couldn't you put in a Jazz bass deluxe jackplate, move all your pots over and put another volume in, drill yourself a new input jack, then wire it all up? Easier said than done, but I thought about it myself. I just prefer the series wiring. :D Good luck.

EDIT: Your bass is beyond sexy.

11. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    One could move the output jack to the side of be bass using what "11Coopbass" (on Youtube) calls a "football" then the control plate would have four holes for three volumes and a tone control.

12. tewtewvu

tewtewvu

Jan 1, 2012
    Texas
    Topspin: thanks for the comments man. I love the bass and it feels good when playing. Just like you though, I want something more from the bass except I want to keep the original sound the jazz pickups but with an extra umph! when i need it. It's more of a versatility thing. Ill keep the volume off for the will power when I don't need it.

BillyB and Topspin: I've definitely thought about getting the deluxe jazz bass control plate and moving the input jack so I can have the vol/vol/vol/tone but I'm not sure if there's a better way to wire this up without having to drill a hole for the input. I'm comfortable with doing these mods but if I can do Less work, anything helps :) also a wiring schematic would make things much easier but there's nothing on the Internet (that can find anyway) that shows a diagram for this...

13. tewtewvu

tewtewvu

Jan 1, 2012
    Texas
    Oh, another thing. I have removed the neck jazz pickup and wired the will power in place of it. With the bridge vol all the way off, the bass sounds so good. So much power! But when I turn on both volumes all the way up, it sounds sooo puny and thin. The bridge pickup alone sound very thin too in this configuration. don't exactly know why but just thought I'd throw that out there.

14. odin70

odin70

Dec 26, 2007
    How is the output compared to the jazz pups?

15. Serek_Basses

Serek_Basses Supporting Member

Mar 26, 2009
    Chicago, IL
    Sounds like they are wired out of phase. You have to reverse the ground and lead wires on one of the pickups, doesn't matter which, but only switch the wires for one pickup and you should be able to crank em up without any loss of power!

16. tewtewvu

tewtewvu

Jan 1, 2012
    Texas
    Odin70: The Will Power's output is much greater than the Jazz pickups. Huge lows and gets my speakers in my amp moving like crazy compared to the jazz pickups. A nice change if you're looking for a different sound.

Mad_Phingers: I'll have to try that if I want to only use the Will Power instead of the jazz neck. By switching the leads, do you mean taking the hot wire and ground it, and taking the ground wire and wire it hot?

17. Serek_Basses

Serek_Basses Supporting Member

Mar 26, 2009
    Chicago, IL
    Yep that would do it.

18. tewtewvu

tewtewvu

Jan 1, 2012
    Texas
    Well, that ended working out. I swapped the wires and now it seems to be working as it should. Thanks Mad_Phingers.

I just has another idea. I was thinking of maybe installing a mini toggle switch instead of having 3 vol and 1 tone. I was thinking maybe I can get a 2 way dpdt or spdt on/on switch and I can select between either the will power or the jazz neck. (the bridge pickup will be left alone and be controlled by the bridge volume knob like regular) is this a silly idea? I hope it can be done. Any ideas on how to wire everything up?

19. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    The center terminal would connect to the volume control and the hot lead of each pickup would connect to the outer switch terminals. Click the switch one way, Will Power, click it the other way, Jazz pickup.

20. tewtewvu

tewtewvu

Jan 1, 2012
    Texas
    Guess that was easier than I thought lol. I'll go buy one and see how it works out. Thanks again phingers.