1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Dimarzio Model One?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by dfreeman, Sep 5, 2002.

1. I'm thinking about replacing my neck pickup on my Eb-3 with a dimarzio model one. I've heard that they actually sound pretty terrible, but I find this kind of hard to believe. Anybody have a second opinion?
    Doug

2. PolkaHero

PolkaHero

Jan 5, 2002
    Michigan
    I replaced the mudbucker in my EB-3 with the Model One last year. It adds more mids that the original pickup lacks. It won't give you a piano-like sound with endless sustain, though.

For me, a better modification was replacing the lousy original bridge with a Leo Quan BadAss I. I can actually intonate the strings now without it affecting the string height!

3. rumblethump

rumblethump Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2000
    Pioneer CA. 95666
    I replace the Original Mudbucker with the DiMarzio Model one back in the 70s. I also added the in and out of phase switch. Out of phase it is a little more P like, but the position of the Bridge PU is much more forward than a P. If you are unhappy with the Gibson Thunder I think you will like the improvement. I also second the replacement of the bridge. What were they thinking?? A bridge anchored with 2 bolts floating above the bass?? The absolute worst design ever. When I played an E at the 12th fret it sounded out a G. THAT BAD.
    The BA I fixed that, and gave the bass much more sustain. I played Pearl yesterday in Church and she sounded awesome. :)

4. Monkey

Monkey Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2000
    Ohio, USA
    I wanted more bottom end from my Carvin fretless, so I replaced the stacked Jazz pickup with a DiMarzio Model One in the neck position. I really like it. It definitely has more bottom, and has more highs than I expected. I sounds good in combination with the stacked J in the bridge.