Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Dimarzio Model One?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by dfreeman, Sep 5, 2002.

1. I'm thinking about replacing my neck pickup on my Eb-3 with a dimarzio model one. I've heard that they actually sound pretty terrible, but I find this kind of hard to believe. Anybody have a second opinion?
    Doug

2. PolkaHero

PolkaHero Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2002
    Michigan
    I replaced the mudbucker in my EB-3 with the Model One last year. It adds more mids that the original pickup lacks. It won't give you a piano-like sound with endless sustain, though.

For me, a better modification was replacing the lousy original bridge with a Leo Quan BadAss I. I can actually intonate the strings now without it affecting the string height!

3. rumblethump

rumblethump Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2000
    Pioneer CA. 95666
    I replace the Original Mudbucker with the DiMarzio Model one back in the 70s. I also added the in and out of phase switch. Out of phase it is a little more P like, but the position of the Bridge PU is much more forward than a P. If you are unhappy with the Gibson Thunder I think you will like the improvement. I also second the replacement of the bridge. What were they thinking?? A bridge anchored with 2 bolts floating above the bass?? The absolute worst design ever. When I played an E at the 12th fret it sounded out a G. THAT BAD.
    The BA I fixed that, and gave the bass much more sustain. I played Pearl yesterday in Church and she sounded awesome. :)

4. Monkey

Monkey Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2000
    Dayton, Ohio, USA
    I wanted more bottom end from my Carvin fretless, so I replaced the stacked Jazz pickup with a DiMarzio Model One in the neck position. I really like it. It definitely has more bottom, and has more highs than I expected. I sounds good in combination with the stacked J in the bridge.