1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Dimarzio Model P/J or Qtr Pounder P/J??

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by slapstick13, Jul 31, 2012.

1. slapstick13

slapstick13

Feb 5, 2010
    Im looking to replace the pickups in my Fender P bass Special(has p and j pups). Right now I have a Bill Lawrence p45 and a stock J pup in there. Love the P45 but Im looking to try something new and get something more aggresive for my punk band(I play with a pick so I'm looking for that driven agressive pick tone).

Not trying to spend a lot so Im deciding between the dimarzio model p/j set and the qtr pounder p/j set. Any suggestions? Kinda leaning toward the dimarzios. Qtr pounders seem like they might be TOO over the top.

2. NKBassman

NKBassman Lvl 10 Nerd Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Winnipeg, MB, Canada
    I've never used 1/4 Pounders, but I love the Model P, Model J and Will Power pickups.

I'd recommend using 500k pots with the Model P/J though, as Dimarzio suggests. That will really help bring out the top end and make it sizzle a bit more.

3. slapstick13

slapstick13

Feb 5, 2010
    I believe i have 500k pots in my bass now. Do you have a matched set of the dimarzios? I was wondering how different the sound would be if i get a used model j and a used model p cause theyre easier to find that way as opposed to a matched set.

4. NKBassman

NKBassman Lvl 10 Nerd Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Winnipeg, MB, Canada
    Should be identical pickups to the "set" that you can order. I assume they're just packaged differently.

5. Bardley

Bardley

Nov 16, 2007
    Louisville, KY
    Dimarzios all the way. I have them in a PJ Charvel and it has killer rock tone. Agressive sound and not as clanky as the 1/4 pounders. I had 1/4 pounder pups in my P bass years ago and never liked them. The DiMarzios are great.