1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

DiMarzio Model P & J Question

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by i_got_a_mohawk, Apr 27, 2006.

1. I was thinking about having these with a series parallel and single coil switch for each pickup, then it hit me, would this work or would the single coil option just cut out one side of the pickups?

as i think the coils are side by side instead of one over another like you have on guitar humbuckers

2. http://www.dimarzio.com/media/diagrams/4Conductor.pdf

im going by the diagrams here for the on/on/on switch for single coil, parallel and series wiring

I'm also adding a phase switch, but i only wire in the phase switch with one pickup dont i? Whereas there would be a single/parallel/serie switch for each pup?

Cheers,

- Will

3. fender_mod

fender_mod

Jun 23, 2005
    why the hell would you want to have an individual pups in series parallel much less activate half of it at once? it wouldnt do anything because each half of the humbuckers only cover half on the strings at once. this doesnt really make sense and ive got some weird wiring in my bass. if your going to do something like you need a dimarzio pup like a model one, that would be the kind of pup you would do this for.

4. Thats just what i was wanting to double check that thats what would happen, dont worry im not going to do that, for some reason it slipped my mind entirely that the bass humbuckers are side by side instead of ontop of each other, i just wanted to check to see if thats what happened

And to the series parallel mod, i just want to have that option there for slight differences in sound and to give me practice with the soldering iron

5. fender_mod

fender_mod

Jun 23, 2005
    wire the pups in series/parallel between the p and j pups. search for a series parallel diagram on the net/forums and youll be set, ill bet youll find a couple different wiring options for what youre looking for.

6. DavePlaysBass

DavePlaysBass

Mar 31, 2004
    CO
    With the Dimarzio split coils, you can do the parallel / series thing just like the diagram. As mentioned, single coil does not make sense with the split coils because you lose half of the sound. Unless you did it with the split of the E and A on one pup and the D and G with the other pup. It would probably not sound very good.

Dave

7. Im thinking about doing series/parallel mods for each pickups and between the pickups (3 switchs) aswell as a phase switch

You may think its pointless, but im wanting to do this mainly for some soldering experience and to have a banger bass with lots of switchs :p

I emailed diMarzio the other day and the guy gave me piles of diagrams including ones for what ive described there :)

Yeah it didnt click til the other day that that would happen, i just thought id post on here to check that that would be the problem :)