1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Dimarzio Model P/J set for a fretless - good or bad idea?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by fourstringbliss, Oct 28, 2004.

1. fourstringbliss

fourstringbliss Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
    I am getting a fretless bass with a P/J combo. The body is alder and the fretboard is rosewood. Would a Dimarzio Model P/J combo sound good in it?

2. bedrock

bedrock

Sep 6, 2004
    I have a Fender Jaco Pastorius fretless bass that I replaced the original pick-ups with Dimarzio Model J pick-ups. I have played dozens of fretless basses over the years and this bass is easily my favorite. The Dimarzios have a lot of output, a lot of growly mids, and are dead quiet. They just seem to speak alot better than the original stock Fender pick-ups, which were quite noisy. They would be too mid-heavy for a modern fretted slap sound, but are perfectly suited for fretless.

3. mgmadian

mgmadian

Feb 4, 2002
    Austin, TX
    This would be my ideal pickup combination for a 4-string fretless.

4. EricTheEZ1

EricTheEZ1

Nov 23, 2004
    Clawson, MI
    I've found that fretless basses with P/J pickups usually have a more full and thick sound than a J set. Usually makes it sound a little closer to fretless with less "wah" fretless sound.

5. silky smoove

silky smoove

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    I don't know about the P side of things, but I replaced the MEC single coils in my Warwick Corvette with DiMarzio Model J's and they are unbelievable. HUGE sound. I have to imagine the P sounds enormous.

6. RyanHelms

RyanHelms

Sep 20, 2003
    Cleveland, OH
    No doubt there, my fretless P/J is plenty-o-thick.

:confused: Not to split any proverbial hairs, but how can *less* mwaah fretless sound make it sound closer to fretless? That seems like saying it's closer to chocolate milk with less chocolate taste...sorry, I can't think of another example. Saying that just puts me in Alice In Wonderland, though.
    Any way, what am I talking about - I don't know from DiMarzio P/J sets.

But I do know from fretless P/J goodness.

:D

7. Ryan,

On your P+J, both pickups full on, how close does the tone get to a J+J with both pickups full on. This is a carryover from another thread I have going here.

I own a MIM-J fretless, with a set of Model J ready to install.

8. RyanHelms

RyanHelms

Sep 20, 2003
    Cleveland, OH
    I don't know, since I've only played a P or P/J. Makes me want to go out and score a J/J ;)