Dimarzio Model P/J set for a fretless - good or bad idea?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by fourstringbliss, Oct 28, 2004.

1. I am getting a fretless bass with a P/J combo. The body is alder and the fretboard is rosewood. Would a Dimarzio Model P/J combo sound good in it?
  2. bedrock

Sep 6, 2004
    I have a Fender Jaco Pastorius fretless bass that I replaced the original pick-ups with Dimarzio Model J pick-ups. I have played dozens of fretless basses over the years and this bass is easily my favorite. The Dimarzios have a lot of output, a lot of growly mids, and are dead quiet. They just seem to speak alot better than the original stock Fender pick-ups, which were quite noisy. They would be too mid-heavy for a modern fretted slap sound, but are perfectly suited for fretless.
  3. mgmadian

Feb 4, 2002
    Austin, TX
    This would be my ideal pickup combination for a 4-string fretless.
  4. EricTheEZ1

Nov 23, 2004
    Clawson, MI
    I've found that fretless basses with P/J pickups usually have a more full and thick sound than a J set. Usually makes it sound a little closer to fretless with less "wah" fretless sound.
  5. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    I don't know about the P side of things, but I replaced the MEC single coils in my Warwick Corvette with DiMarzio Model J's and they are unbelievable. HUGE sound. I have to imagine the P sounds enormous.
  6. RyanHelms

Sep 20, 2003
    Cleveland, OH
    No doubt there, my fretless P/J is plenty-o-thick.

:confused: Not to split any proverbial hairs, but how can *less* mwaah fretless sound make it sound closer to fretless? That seems like saying it's closer to chocolate milk with less chocolate taste...sorry, I can't think of another example. Saying that just puts me in Alice In Wonderland, though.
    Any way, what am I talking about - I don't know from DiMarzio P/J sets.

But I do know from fretless P/J goodness.

7. Ryan,

On your P+J, both pickups full on, how close does the tone get to a J+J with both pickups full on. This is a carryover from another thread I have going here.

I own a MIM-J fretless, with a set of Model J ready to install.
  8. RyanHelms

Sep 20, 2003
    Cleveland, OH
    I don't know, since I've only played a P or P/J. Makes me want to go out and score a J/J ;)