Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Dimarzio Model P/J set - opinions?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by fourstringbliss, Jan 13, 2005.

1. I am thinking of getting an SX P/J and replacing the pups with Dimarzio Model P/J's. How do these pickups sound? Would this make for a good sounding bass?

2. skinnypete

skinnypete

Oct 7, 2004
    New York, NY
    I have never used a PJ setup but I have a G&L that was routed for a P pickup and I chose a Dimarzio. It has a great sound, very hot for a passive.

I also have a Jazz with Dimarzio and I am pleased with that sound as well.

3. Was it a Model P or the Split P? How does it compare in sound to the Fender MIA P pickup (if you know)?

4. mgmadian

mgmadian

Feb 4, 2002
    Austin, TX
    My favorite passive P and J... they both sound great, lots of presence, character, definition, etc. Not thuddy/thumpy per-se, but they can be with the right playing technique, and the use of a passive tone or other EQ. And pretty inexpensive to boot... :D

5. Thanks!

6. artitrol

artitrol

Jan 15, 2005
    Sarasota
    i used the dimarzio p/j dp126 for my fender mim p-special and a dimarzio model-j for my washburn lb20(bridge)
    it's sweet tone but some noise

but in my mind, sx is not a good bass be worth to change the pickups

great and real sound have to from the wood and set-up