Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Di'Marzio Model P/J's Won't Fit

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Juneau, Mar 14, 2005.

1. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    Just posting this for informational purposes, but I got a set of these model P/J p'ups and they would not fit the stock routings on my Ibanez GSR 200. The stock p'ups are just a hair smaller, requiring a routing job to make the p'ups fit, so I blew off the mod.

Anyhow, just wanted to post to let anyone with similar plans know.

2. Lorenzini

Lorenzini

Dec 31, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Thank you for letting us know. That kind of sucks :( You could always shave that "hair" off to make it fit, though

3. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    I dont have the proper tools, and it really wouldn't be worth the time and possible screw ups for a $200 bass. Its more of a toy anyhow, just to get some practice on a fretless. When I got my Dingwall, this bass was retired to the closet, because, well, why would I play that thing? At least as a fretless it now offers something different and is worth playing. I may re-consider if I ever decide to try and record with it.

4. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

yep, they are a hair smaller at the J pup. Never had a P that wouldn't drop in. A drill and small bit will remove all that's necessary. Just put the bit into the routing and press the side of the bit against the routing and remove a tad from each end. Keep checking the pup till it drops in. The width is fine from what I recall. From appearance, no one would even know if they weren't told. It's that minute of a difference - probably 1/16".

Probably wouldn't hurt to tape the face but you'd really have to pull one off to run a bit across the face of a bass that's 3/4" deep into the routing. It can prevent possible chipping though. I had no probblem with chipping using a bit - which I can't say was so with a router.