1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

DiMarzio Model P Pole pieces?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by dudeonthebass, Jan 16, 2012.

1. dudeonthebass

dudeonthebass

Jul 2, 2008
    St.Osyth
    Is it possible to take the cover of the pickups, and spray paint them silver, so they look like a normal p bass pick up?

Dave!

2. I don't see why you couldn't. Why,are yours black? The majority are chrome.

3. SamanthaCay

SamanthaCay Supporting Member

Nov 16, 2008
    Denver, CO.
    You can remove the poles and paint them separately or you could take them out and go to your local hardware store and look for a chrome replacement.
    FWIW I know my local ace has these.

4. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Banned Commercial User

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    Owner, SGD Music Products
  5. I always thought they were black, too. My Di Marzio js poles are black for sure.

6. SGD Lutherie

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    OK I see the new ones are black. They used to be chrome.

You can get chrome plated screws. If not, unscrew them and paint them. Don't try and take the cover off or the magnets may come lose.

7. dudeonthebass

dudeonthebass

Jul 2, 2008
    St.Osyth
    So they i can just unscrew them, then screw them back it ? there no chance of damaging them or the pick up is there ?

8. Nope. It's basically a set screw.

9. Why would there be any damage? They are just screws.

FWIW, silver paint usually looks awful. I would replace the screws.

10. SamanthaCay

SamanthaCay Supporting Member

Nov 16, 2008
    Denver, CO.
    Assuming the bobbin design is the same as on the old ones the answer is, yes you can remove them.
    I have a very old and abused p pickup that I restored and the poles where threaded into a solid piece of plastic which made up the center of the pickup.

11. ebonalley

ebonalley

May 17, 2010
  12. The same thing that makes stainless steel "stainless" is also what makes it a poor magnet. Stainless steel can't be magnetized very well.

13. SGD Lutherie

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    There are different grades of stainless. Some of it works quite well for pole pieces, like 430 and 440. That's the stuff they use for knife blades.

Interestingly, the thing they add to stainless that stops if from being magnetic is nickel, and nickel itself is magnetic.

14. ebonalley

ebonalley

May 17, 2010
    I gave up and just spray painted mine chrome. Hopefully it works out.