Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

dimarzio model P series/parallel option

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by steviecsg, Sep 20, 2005.

1. steviecsg

steviecsg

Aug 16, 2002
    I've just installed this configuration into my MIM P bass.

The difference in sound is minimal, one slightly softer and thinner than the other. However, it still retains very much the sonic characteristics of the middle position p pickup.

Im wondering
    1) how this squares up against the different settings in the S1 P bass.

2) Has anyone who has done this mod found it to be useful? I don't see much difference in tone lean towards one setting over the other. Rather, I see it more as a 'added boost' switch

What are your views?

2. well its still the same pickup, i wouldnt expect an amazingly huge difference between them, when i get my model P and J and im just gonna see what one sounds the best and just leave it as is tho, not gonna bother with a switch

3. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    You mean you installed the switch they recomend for series/parallel? This is exactly what the S1 switch is on a P-bass and frankly, I like having it there. I don't trust the S1 myself and would rather have the extra switch.

4. steviecsg

steviecsg

Aug 16, 2002
    yep i installed the mini switch for 'dual sound' capabilities as described on the dimarzio website.

Doesn't really make much difference in sound does it?

5. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    The sound still has the same properties, but it definately can be tamed or made ballsier with the swithc.

6. steviecsg

steviecsg

Aug 16, 2002
    agreed.

just a minute variation in sound and tone only.