Dimarzio Model P vs. Seymour Duncan Vintage P

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by tplyons, Dec 28, 2003.

1. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I just dropped an EBO pickup into my P-bass, and while it's running along side my EMG P, it doesn't quite have the tone I'm looking for. I'm very fond of Billy Sheehan's wife (sorry Billy, but she's kinda cute :p) with the EBO and Fender P pickup. First thing's first, I don't want to drop the money on a vintage Precision pickup, so I'm looking at the Dimarzio Model P (which is very close to the Will Power Middle found in his signature model) or the Seymour Duncan Vintage P. Which would give me the sound closest to Billy's, and what are the pro's and con's of each?
  2. Metal Mitch

Metal Mitch

Jul 14, 2003
    Between those 2, the DiMarzio would be closer to Billy's sound. He used/uses/endorses DiMarzio.

I've had both pickups and would only recommend the Vintage for blues or oldies rock. The DiMarzio is the one for hard rock / classic metal. The Vintage is a bit thin and bitey, and can do an almost acoustic/electric tone so it might sound good combined with your EB-0 but not as "rock" when soloed. The DiMarzio Model P is real aggressive snarly/growly, great rock pickup. I've posted more details in other threads if you want to search them up.

If you like Duncan, I think you'd get a sound closer to what you're looking for from the Duncan Hot. Search for posts by bgavin about his Duncan Hot. He preferred the Will Power Middle but was using it for a different style of music. The Quarter Pounder is a great pickup but has a lot more bottom than the sound you're looking for, and you can get that from your EB-0 when you want it. Have fun!
  3. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Mitch, I'd swear you're following me around the forum! Where in Jersey are you?
  4. Metal Mitch

Metal Mitch

Jul 14, 2003
    haha I'm stalking you... ;) j/k, I do tend to browse across multiple forums and between you and 74rickbass the whole Sheehanized-P thing got my attention. Based on the year I got it and the city I lived in at the time, I still wonder if he possibly owned and routed my P at one time... now, I'm down in the New Brumphus (as the locals call it) area.

Edit: This may be crazy, but I'm gonna email him and ask!
  5. I have the DM Will Power Middle in mine, and have a new (uninstalled) Duncan Vintage P waiting to go in.

The DM is hotter than the Duncan, and has correspondingly more hot midrange. I've not heard the Duncan yet, but it is reputed to have more of the vintage "thump" that is entirely missing from the DM. This was my reason for purchasing the Duncan, but I just hate to let go of the DM.

I have the DM wired to a DPDT switch for series/parallel operation. There is a distinct tone difference.
  6. mgmadian

Feb 4, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Can't speak directly about the Seymour Duncan Vintage P, but I've got a DiMarzio Model P in my Fender P-J bass, and the sound is outstanding. Lots of presence, very meaty/full sound. Sounds great for slapping, too... think Ready Freddy Washington with Anita Baker. For a good rock sound, it's killer.
  7. hvacfreak

Feb 12, 2004
    I use a DiMarzo Model 1 instead of an EBO , and a Model P in the stock position of my 79 Precision. Each runs to a seperate Pearce BC-1 ( 1 has Bill Sheehan Mod ). These preamps are no longer manufactured , but were the best there was in " The Stone Age " . ( 1980's)
  8. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    I have used the SPB-1 enough that I felt qualified to send a review to Harmony Central. Here's a link: link
  9. I had one in my MIJ 57' RI P Bass and while it was very hot outputwise I found it to be to midrange-y for my liking. Trying a few different ones but may end up put a j p/up in it. I really like 2 p/ups wide open.