1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

dimarzio model p?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by precision punk, Apr 15, 2009.

1. precision punk

precision punk

Mar 15, 2009
    i have a 2008 olympic white black pickguard american precision bass strung with fender flats but will soon be strung with TI's and also have the 62' aftermarket pickup... im not too happy with it i want something more that has strong mids and good solid clear bass tone... im wondering how the dimarzio model p will sound ... the info displays everything im lookin for but i just wanted a TBer's opinion

thanks guys

2. mav

mav

Jun 10, 2003
    I'd like to know too!

3. Do a search on DP122 here and you'll find some info. Here is my story. I played a show and shared a stage with John Conte last year. He is a pro bass player from New York City and his bass had DiMarzio's, and he uses them a lot and loves them. I liked the tone he had that night and I had been wanting to try something other than the stock pups in my '73 P-bass. So I pulled the trigger and bought a set, and here are the results:

First of all, I had no previous soldering experience and I am "medium-handy" when it come to DIY home improvements. Replacing the pups in the P was pretty easy, no complications.

The difference was clear right away. The DP122's are much "hotter" and have a lot of gain in them, so they won't necessarily give you that classic P-bass tone unless you EQ them to get there. So you can get close to the "classic" P-bass tone and also have the option to get lots of gain, which is great if you like an edgy tone. I play the P with an SVT 3 Pro and when it is cranked it sounds great on rock songs from the 70's. You will find that the pups are so hot that they distort easily with any amount of added gain from your amp or in my case amp and sansamp (the "drive" knob stays way down with these pups).

Also, the DP's are much quieter than the stocks, none of that buzz you get when you turn the bass up and just stand there, not touching the strings. Also no buzz when you touch the pups themselves, which again is different than the stock pups that I had.

I am definitely susceptible to GAS, but I'll say that since I installed these, I have had no regrets. In a perfect world I would have liked to A/B them with the Seymour Duncan QP's. My plan is to keep the stock pups in the ziploc bag that they are living in now, and if I ever go to sell the bass (I've had it for about 15 years so far. My wife thinks they'll bury it with me), I'll have them professionally re-installed for bass-value sake. And the DP's will live in my bass, making happy tones from now until then.

Hope that helps. Feel free to PM me with any other questions if you like. There are lots of DP122 fans here, but others prefer the QP's, which I have not heard.

4. mrufino1

mrufino1 Supporting Member

Aug 2, 2005
    Nutley, NJ
    I had the dp-122 in a P/J warmoth and it sounded really good. I had the J off all of the time, the P pickup was nice. It wouldn't necessarily wow you solo, but in a mix it worked well. I had quarter pounders in the past, they were cool but not exactly subtle from what I remember.

5. precision punk

precision punk

Mar 15, 2009
    thanks alot guys i appreciate all the feedback :D

do the model p's have a similar tone to the Seymour Duncan hot's?

6. Wanna hear Model P in action? Listen to The Eat 'em And Smile album from David Lee Roth. Billy Sheehan uses them.

I love em. I have them on my "Steve Harris" bass and cant get enough of the grinding tone that comes out of them. VERY hot. Will overdrive a tube amp .

7. Very true. I have to be careful with the gain on my VB-2 with this pickup. But when I want some sweet tube growl, it's a treat. :D

8. precision punk

precision punk

Mar 15, 2009
    :D
    black or creme?

9. precision punk

precision punk

Mar 15, 2009
    my bass would look like this with the creme 122's

descendent22 likes this.
  10. Jaymi

Jaymi Pink Bass Man

Feb 11, 2008
    Nashville, TN
    Endorsing Artist: Jaydee Basses
    i have used the model p quite often in various basses and I can tell you that they have never let me down. I would take them over the 1/4 lb anytime...they are fat and round and have beef for days...somewhere in the not-too-distant future, i am going to set up a P bass with 2 sets of model P pickups..that ought to blow down the walls....(I have 2 nice big 8x10's for that!!!)

jg42 likes this.
  11. precision punk

precision punk

Mar 15, 2009
    niceeee jaymi i too found the quarter pounders not for me... im not a treble type of guy haha jus big punchy well defined lows and strong mids with a touch of treble i hope the dimarzio model p is what im lookin for.