Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

DiMarzio Model P?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by tbonesux, Nov 7, 2002.

1. tbonesux

tbonesux Guest

Apr 7, 2002
    Wisconsin
    I'm looking for the biggest sound possible while still being defined and focused. Will this do it?

2. Yes....Good choice!

3. I looked at this one, and went with the DiMarzio DP146 Will Power Middle.

It is huge in the bottom, and tapers off in the highs. My MIM P and TI Flats work very well with this pickup. It replaced a Duncan Hot P which I found had far too much mids and not enough bottom.

Both the Duncan and DiMarzio do not appear to have the same percussive effect as the stock pickup. Both are much louder and very even across all strings. I like the DiMarzio much better.

I also have the DP146 wired to a series/parallel switch. Parallel mode reduces the huge fatness and lets through more clear and sparkling highs.

4. tbonesux

tbonesux Guest

Apr 7, 2002
    Wisconsin
    The Dimarzio site says the model P and Will power are kinda similar. Right now im leaning towards the Model P because I like exposed pole pieces.
    but, What kind kind of music do you play and how do you like your sound to sound?

I think I will use the series parallel switch and do away with the tone pot. Any thoughts on that idea?

Thanks
    -Trav

5. I play in a blues band using a MIM P with TI Flats.

The Model P and WPM are very, very close in DC resistance and spec'ed output. It is my understanding the higher output pickups from being overwound boost the mids and lose the highs.

Therefore, a vintage pickup won't be very loud but would have more highs. ?

I really like the sharp percussive effect, but that seems to be reduced since I went away from the stock pickup.

6. I swear by the Fender Original '62 P-Bass pickup. It isn't as hot as the DiMarzio but it sounds great all through the frequency spectrum and will give you that characteristic P-Bass thump. I play in a blues band and have a mahogany body P-Bass clone with a maple neck strung with GHS Brite flats. I used roundwounds on it for a short time and, if I was a slap and popper (which I'm not) that pickup would work fine.