Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

DiMarzio or Duncan Js?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Eric Cameron, Aug 28, 2000.

1. I have this bass porject going, and right now it has a set of Duncan J pickups. But Guitar Center is having a sale and the same set of Js but made by DiMarzio is only $100. Should I trde them out? I know that I could get a pretty good price for the Duncans. I just need to know, which is better? I play metal/punk with many solos, if that helps.

Rock on
    Eric

2. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    If the DiMarzio's are an UltraJazz set, $100 is too much.

3. Warrior

Warrior

Sep 3, 2000
    Best set of J style pickups I ever used was a set of Lane Poors ,they used to come stock in the Sadowsky basses
    I have bought them for 150.00 a set and the sound was worth every penny

4. Funkster

Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    I would go with the Seymores but Fender makes a killer set of Custom shop 60's J pups and they are killer good output very quiet nice price around a 100 bucks pretty comparible to the Seymores.

5. Which Js? Duncan make about 5 different ones...actives, classic and hot stacks, vintage, quarterpounders. I found the Vintage Js too mellow, and would go for Ultrajazz myself. The classic stacks are great, though (IMHO).

6. username1

username1

Dec 28, 2005
    alberta canada
    I have used DiMarzio pickups in the past and IMHO I think they suck. They sound bad because they use cheap ceramic magnets wich make a pickup higher output at the expense of sounding harsh. If you are playing fretless dont even consider the dimarzio. I have tried seymour duncans with alnico magnets and think they sound very sweet with a lot clearer cleaner top end.

7. maurilio

maurilio Musician - Owner at Mo's Shop - Tech at Nordstrand Supporting Member

May 25, 2003
    Studio City+Redlands, CA
    Endorsing artist: Nordstrand - Genzler Amplification - Sadowsky - Dunlops Strings - DR Strings
    Uh? :eyebrow: are you sure ? I don't reckon.

Mo'

8. ElBajista

ElBajista

Dec 13, 2005
    Sebring, FL
    How much is a good price for UJs? All the ones I see are priced around $95-$100....

9. I had a set of DiMarzio Ultras on my 5 string together with an OBP3 preamp.I was not happy with the sound and I changed to Seymour Duncan Basslines.They sounded better by themselves but in the mix with my band they sounded kind of bland, not enough punch too much sizzle on top.I ended up replacing the OBP3 with an OBP1 (2 band EQ 4k center vs 6.5 k on the OBP3)and put the Ultra's back in.I compared that bass to my 74 Jazz w/stock pickups and a Sadowsky preamp and I was very happy to hear that they sounded very similar.
    So my vote would be for the Ultras.
    Roxy