DiMarzio or Seymour Duncan P-Bass replacements?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by handheldmusic, Apr 16, 2001.

1. I want to replace the stock pickups in my Fender Mexi P-Bass and I've got it narrowed down to the DiMarzio P-Bass replacements or the Seymour Duncan Quarter Pound P-Bass (simply because I can get both of these really cheap through Musician's Friend). Which ones do you like better? Pluses, minuses? Any advice anyone could give me would be great. Thanks!

2. Taurus

Feb 2, 2001
    I have DiMarzio DP127's in my Standard p-bass and they blow away the pups that came with the bass.They are supposed to be more sensitive and responsive to things like string bends because they have two full length bars instead of pole pieces per coil.The DP122 has conventional pole pieces with a conventional look if that's important to you.I like the DiMarzio's and the fact that they can be had cheaply is a major bonus.I don't have experience with the SD's so can't comment on them.The next step up for you to improve your bass is to trash the cheapo bridge and install a good one,preferably with stringing through the body.Done it to mine;makes a big difference.I also shielded the cavity and back of the p-guard.There is absolutely no shielding in this bass at all.Noise was not a big issue before,but it's quiet as a mouse now.