1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

DiMarzio P "Dual Sound"

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by shodan, Nov 7, 2018.

1. shodan

shodan

Mar 23, 2005
    Central Midwest
    A customer has requested a DiMarzio P installed in his project. This is a standard Fender P bass configuration. Looking at the wiring diagrams on the DiMarzio site, there is one for the "standard" volume and tone pot install (https://d1f2d6hfyzqs12.cloudfront.net/s3fs-public/diagrams/pbass1v1t.pdf ). With my limited knowledge, it seems this would make them series.

But there is another that is billed as "Dual Sound" that has a DPDT switch installed (https://d1f2d6hfyzqs12.cloudfront.net/s3fs-public/diagrams/pbass1v1t_dualsnd.pdf ). Toggle on one side produces the same wiring as the previous diagram. Toggle on the other side combines the red hot lead from one coil with the white lead from the other coil, and the black lead with the green ground lead. This would make them parallel, correct?

My question is, since the two coils have poles oriented to different strings, how can they be truly parallel? Someone set me straight, please.

2. parallel isn't referring to the orientation of the coils, but the electrical layout
    series is like two batteries end-to-end
    parallel is like two batteries side-by-side & tapped off at both ends

51b9edffce395f3630000002.

R1 & R2 are in series
    R3 & R4 are in parallel

3. shodan

shodan

Mar 23, 2005
    Central Midwest
    I didn't state my question clearly.
    I understand the electrical orientation of parallel and series. In a normal humbucker set up both coils would be reacting to the same frequencies produced by the same set of strings. IE, two batteries feeding the same voltage. Parallel wiring would normally feed the same coil output to the controls, where series would bump the output. But in this scenario, parallel wired coils aren't reacting to the same frequencies or intensities. Isn't it like having two different voltage batteries wired together? So how does that affect what the pots are seeing, if at all, versus the cumulative output of a series feed?

4. I understand your question. You're asking if the coils are wired parallel, what happens signal-wise if you play, for example the E and G strings together vs. one or the other. I don't know how to answer but I suspect it's not important. I know it doesn't sound as good as series wiring. It's thin sounding by comparison. Brighter, with a bit more low end but less beef in the middle. Just like what happens with 'normal' humbuckers.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2018
    sprag and shodan like this.