Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Dimarzio pickup problem!

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Lorenzini, Mar 5, 2005.

1. Lorenzini

Lorenzini

Dec 31, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Hallo everybody.

I recently got a set of Dimarzio P/J pickups.

Soldering on the P pups was a piece of cake. Everything is fine there.

The first thing I noticed when soldering the jazz pups to the pots was that in their instructions: BLACK connects to WHITE, GREEN connects to POT#2 and RED connects to POT#2.

However, on the actual pup, GREEN was next to BLACK (should've been WHITE), and WHITE was next to RED.

So, it looked like this:

| GREEN------------------BLACK |
    | |
    | WHITE--------------------RED |

It's possible that the pickup was glued upside down. It SHOULD'VE looked like this:

| WHITE------------------BLACK|
    | |
    | GREEN--------------------RED |

I went ahead and connected GREEN to BLACK and connected WHITE and RED to POT#2.

Now, when I turn the P volume all the way up, it sounds fine.

When I turn the jazz volume all the way up (by itself) it sounds fine.

The problem is when I turn the P volume up, and turn the jazz volume up. The jazz seems to have no effect on the tone, and when turned all the way up, actually diminishes the output by about 85%. Turn the jazz volume down by about 15% and the output goes back up. Either way, when combined with the P pup, the jazz pup seems to have little or no effect on the tone.

So I'm thinking, take everything apart, compensate the incorrect wiring colors to resoldering the WHITE to BLACK and GREEN and RED to POT#2, regardless of the fact that they are crossing eachother up.

Thanks for helping!

2. big evil robot

big evil robot

Feb 27, 2005
    Edmonton, AB, Canada
    Innovations Music - Retailer
    sounds like thats probably the right answer. me thinks you're out of phase.

3. Lorenzini

Lorenzini

Dec 31, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Bump for more advice :)

4. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

concur, sounds out of phase. You know the leads at the end of each pup are the beginning and end of a coil. Was the P pup a 4 lead pup? If so, were the colors from each P matched at the ends the same as the J ends? In other words, was DM at least consistent in their wiring between pups?

From what you said of the J, the Green should be the start and black the end of one coil. The Red the start and white the finish of the other coil. So for the J itself you should wire the Red to pot lug, the green to the white, and the black to pot back for ground (if series). Alternately, you could reverse the wiring of the hots (swapping green for red but then you'd have to swap black for the white in accord). Or wire the Red with green to pot lug and white with black to pot back for ground (for parallel).

P should be wired the same depending on whether you want it series or parallel. If the P is only two wire, I'd wire the J up and see if it's out of phase with the P. If it is, swap the P wires since there's only one alternative to the way it is.

If the P is a 4 lead and the P coding is not consistent with the J, I'd stick with Red and Green being hot and go from there.

DM must love to get phone calls and emails.

5. big evil robot

big evil robot

Feb 27, 2005
    Edmonton, AB, Canada
    I've had a bit of trouble with my DM ultra j's as well, I really wish they would put a diagram with the sets instead of an instruction sheet.
    Or at least, more instructions for doing parallel/series wiring.

I think I'm gonna try your idea today lukn and see if it sounds better or not.

6. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    Yeh seemed I remembered somebody complaining about hum in ultra Jazz. Thereafter I ran across something that mentioned how leads are typically interchangeable (start and finish that is) but sometimes they aren't and reversing them can create hum.

7. Lorenzini

Lorenzini

Dec 31, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Thanks for the comments, I'm fixing this today. Appreciate it!

8. Lorenzini

Lorenzini

Dec 31, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Fixed!

Thanks everybody for your input.

I'm so amazed at this bass...
    It's an SX $129 P/J configuration bass, which it looks like isn't on the site anymore. I think I lucked out!

I got some Dimarzio P/J pups and now this thing sounds fat! The neck is great, the body is light, the tuners keep it in tune as well as my old Fender American Deluxe Jazz...

Maybe I'll upgrade the bridge and the pots in the future. But for now, $225 roughly got me quite a bass.

9. big evil robot

big evil robot

Feb 27, 2005
    Edmonton, AB, Canada
    Yeah, I'm still having trouble, and I've tried a couple different wiring setups. I'm taking my jazz in to get a full setup done thursday, I'll have all the wiring looked at then. I'm thinking I've got a dead spot some where along the way.

10. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

There's also a thread going on now of a guy who got some DM PJ's and he said the color code was crossed from the Dimarzio wiring diagram (Green and white on the diagram were green and black on the pup). His complaint was not hum but an out of phase issue. I don't think it's resolved as yet.

DM's QA appears on the fritz.

11. big evil robot

big evil robot

Feb 27, 2005
    Edmonton, AB, Canada
    mine are clearly in phase, and the output is fantastic. the hum is gone once I'm touching any metal on the bass, but its pretty consitant when i'm not. I thought it may be the computers around my house, but i turned everything off and its not that.
    But I've also found that my new tone pot isn't affecting the tone at all, so I'm guessing thats where my dead spot is.

12. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

the "dead pot" may possibly be a miswiring, especially given DM's surfacing issues. Easy enough to determine, just desolder the center lead from the pot and put a meter on it. You may have desolder both lead but I don't think so.