1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

DiMarzio Pickups: Does Will Power and Ultra Jazz stack?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by recode, Jan 3, 2018.

1. recode

recode

Sep 10, 2013
    Latvia
    Hi guys. I already had an experience with DiMarzio pickups and I like them pretty much. But I wanted to ask has anybody tried to stack Will Power with Ultra Jazz pickups? or at least have tried one of those pickups in PJ configuration? I want to replace my pickups on Fender Bass that has a PJ configuration, so I thinking about those, because I have Split P and Ultra Jazz on different bass, but I think that Split P is too much for a P pickup.

2. I've never heard the term "stack" before. Care to elaborate?

3. Slater

Slater Leave that thing alone. Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    The Will Power Middle DP146 (Precision style) will sound much louder than the Ultra Jazz. The Ultra Jazz has a dip in the mids, so it will have less perceived volume. I would recommend a Model J DP123 to pair with the DP146.

4. recode

recode

Sep 10, 2013
    Latvia
    By saying stacking, I mean use them both together. Sorry for confusing.

5. recode

recode

Sep 10, 2013
    Latvia
    are you sure? :O Ultra Jazz has much more output than Will Power pickup. Even my Split P can't go louder that my Ultra Jazz on another bass. I actually thought that Will Power and Ultra Jazz pickups used both together at full volume, 50/50 balance will give me a flavor like I'm favoring bridge pickup, because again Ultra Jazz is a humbucker and has a higher output.

6. Slater

Slater Leave that thing alone. Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    All of Dimarzio’s bass pickups are humbuckers or noiseless double coils of some kind. My experience has been that the Ultra Jazz don’t seem as loud as the Model J, or Area J pickups. If your experience is different, then trust that.

Also, is it possible that you’re wiring your Precision pickups in parallel and not series? I have found that most Jazz pickups can’t keep up with Precision pickups.

7. The pickups should work fine, then.

8. Yahboy

Yahboy

May 21, 2008
    How about Fender Pure Vintage 63 pup ?
    12K output which close to DP148 12.3K.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2018
  9. Output is measured in milliVolts. That is (presumably) DC resistance in Ohms, which has nothing to do with output.

Yahboy and recode like this.
  10. recode

recode

Sep 10, 2013
    Latvia
    Guys thanks for your input! I wrote to DiMarzio tech support and here is what they told me: "It is OK to combine these pickups. The Will Power is quite powerful. It will not be overshadowed by the Ultra Jazz."

11. Mechayoshi

Mechayoshi

Dec 7, 2015
    Tennessee
    My mini review: The Ultra jazz is a loud, bright, aggressive and slightly atypical bridge pickup. I had it paired with a Model p before ultimatly putting the stock ( “Jackson” J-150vs alnico) back into the bridge. The Ultra jazz is great for some things, but I didn’t like its scooped eq much plus too much treble. I wanted something a bit warmer and less harsh. It had more of a "growl" than a "burp" you’d expect. Maybe with a different neck pickup it might have been better.

Don’t expect it to over power a decent output p pickup though, so if your worried don’t be.

HarveyRobertson and recode like this.