1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Dimarzio PJ height setting

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by jcburn, Jul 22, 2012.

1. Hi all - recently installed this passive PJ set. I've never adjusted my own pickups - just wondering the best practice for adjusting height for volume and tone?
    I have noticed the E strings tone is louder and boomier, but the P pickup under the E is sunk quite low.

2. darkstorm

darkstorm

Oct 13, 2009
    Use your ears for best pup height for each pup individiually and together. Start around 1/8 inch below strings. There is no magick position except as determined by listening and adjusting for you. Being dimarzio the pups should also have adjustable pole peices for each string. Start with these just slightly above pup housing top. About one full turn above top. Higher will typically raise treble a little and even with pup housing top generaly warms tone slightly.

Adjust each pups for best tone. In some cases you will find you want one side of neck or bridge pup slightly closer to the strings compared to the other pup. This can benefit overall tone with various mixes of both pups used together.l Same for little tweaks to the pole peices themself.

Pup height most affrects volume and fulness of tone. Pole peice adjustment gives little tone tweak to that.

Keep pups and pole peices low enough that sttrings dont bang against them as such ussually hurts sound and in those cases theiur ussually close enough to also get a little murky sounding from magnetoic field to close which can also hurt sustain a bit.

3. Thanks man - I didn't realise that raising the polepieces would change tone. I just thought that it was another form of micro height adjustment!
    It explains the different tones on just the E string too!
    Thanks for the help.