Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Dimarzio Split-P problem

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by ADbassman, Sep 14, 2004.

1. I recently finished restoring my old Aria Pro 2 into playiable condition. Sounds pretty nice except that the G and D strings are a lot louder than the A and E strings, when the pickups are set at the same high. The G and D strings are good volume, but the E and A are really faint sounding. Is there anything I can wire in to bring them out? Is it a wiring problem maybe, or possibly a problem with the pickup themselves.

2. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

you should be able to take a small bridge-size allen wrench (whatever - something small and preferably steel) and tap on the poles at low volume. If the pups are putting out about the same, then strings or pups need to be adjusted on the E and A (which is my guess). If outputs not the same - then it's the pup/wiring.

It's been my experience that the E and A will be louder when pups are equadistant to the strings (since the strings are larger diameter) but I just read mention today of a guy saying he's had the volume go down from having them too close. I've gotten distortion from having them too close but can't say as I've ever got a volume drop as a result.

Any site discussing pup height adjustment will usually mention the pups being further from the E string than G. Often mine are the same but every once in a while I'll run across a pup where it had to be lower on the E side.