Dimarzio Split P vs. Duncan Quarter Pounder?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by bassist 4 life, Aug 19, 2005.

1. Hey

Anybody have a "Dimarzio Split P Pickup" installed on his bass. I am thinking about purchasing it , so anybody have one of those? give me your opinions and if possibe sound samples.
  2. Correlli

Apr 2, 2004
    New Zealand
    Yeah, I've got those in my P bass.

I havn't got any sound samples as yet, still working on that.

But they have got lots of bass and mid range response.

Stainless steel you get a good solid rock/metal sound.

With nickel strings and scoop the mids out, you get a nice funk/R&B sound.

Worth the purchase, IMO
  3. It says that each half of the pickups isa complete humbcker, maybe thats why its good for rock and metal, well im a rock fan myself :D
  4. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    I liked them, they're a bit more traditional sounding than the Model P. Compared to the Model P, there's more bass and less mids. It's not scooped though, it's just that compared to the Model P pretty much EVERY pickup has less mids :)
  5. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    there are pictures on the dimarzio web site, you can get them in white or black
  6. Thank you, do you have any sound samples on the pickup, and if possible, the measurements of the hieght width and depth of it
  7. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    no, I don't own the bass in question anymore
    Why not email dimarzio support? I've found them very responsive
  8. I emailed them before i posted the question, the risk of someone answering my question is doubled if i post/send it in 2 different places :p
  9. A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Sinny, Oztraya
    DM P dimensions.
  10. Correlli

Apr 2, 2004
    New Zealand
    Scape what I said. I'm using Model P not Split P.

11. Yeah..."skep" what he "sid"... ;)

(Kiwis and Aussies will understand)
  12. Correlli

Apr 2, 2004
    New Zealand
    Good to see another Aussy/Kiwi on the form.
  13. Which of these Two pickups are best for rock,blues, and slap and a tiny bit of metal

Will Power P Pickup (Bill Sheehan Sig):
    Bass 8
    Treble 8
    Mid 5

The Will Power™ middle pickup is a P-style pickup with tremendous punch and mid-range power. The overall sound is similar to the DiMarzio Model P®, but a broader magnetic field lends more impact to individual notes and harmonic overtones. Both pickups are humbucking with 4-conductor wiring.

The differences between the Will Power and the Model P are subtle. High notes are a little fatter. The midrange is a little more intense, making the overall attack more intense. Lows are about the same as the Model P, but again, a little more intense.

Dimarzio Split P Pickups
    Bass 8
    Treble 6
    Mid 5

Each half of this unique double-blade P-style pickup is a complete humbucker. Split P™ pickups are EQ'd to expand the range of your bass by extending both low- and high-end response

The double-blade design adds snap for crisp attack and emphasizes cool overtones for big, smooth tone. Blade pole pieces also make the Split P™ very sensitive to finger- and pick-attack. Notes seem to ring longer, especially in the upper registers, as the pickup "hears" the decaying note practically down to a whisper.

I would like to thank you for spending your time to read this :)

Thank You :)
  14. Hhehehe thanks Dharmabass for posting the dimensions.
  15. Futurebass

Jun 22, 2005
    I am setting up a bass with a single P routing. I want a kickass passive bass which will be able to compete with some of my active basses without having to boost the volume on the amp. Has anyone had experience with both of these pickups? What's the comparison in terms of output and tonal response. I need something with a full range of tone where you can hear the grind of roundwound strings. Thanks.
  16. I have the WPM on a MIM-P with TI Flats. It has plenty of guts and midrange, but no thump.

I had a Duncan Hot P installed previously, and it was even hotter in the mids and no thump. Not my cup of tea.

I think the thump issue is with the TI Flats and not the pickup. I'll try a different set of strings first, then will replace the WPM with a Duncan Vintage P. If that fails to thump, I have another issue somewhere else.

I have no experience with the Split P, but the WPM is a tasty pickup. It is wired series/parallel with a microswitch on the pick guard.
  17. kringle77

kringle77 Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2004
    Massena NY
    I have both the model p and will power. I personally prefer the origional p. I have a pair of billy sheehan basses by the way. The will power is in another bass of mine so I can't say what it would sound like in the sheehan bass. The origional seems to have a fuller sound but, It may just be the basses.