DiMarzio Split P with QP Jazz ? (also SPB-3 vs Split P)

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by C_Becker, Oct 1, 2017.

1. C_Becker

C_Becker

Mar 30, 2017
    Germany
    I have an LTD 5-string PJ bass (B-55) and I am using a 4-string Quarter Pound P and a 5 string neck QP Jazz pickup right now.

The problem is that the strings don't go over the pole pieces too well at the P pickup and I have a hard time balancing the strings, especially the A string.

IMG_20171001_081343794.

I was thinking of getting a DiMarzio Split P, hoping that the blade pole pieces would be better
    for string balance. But I'm not sure the combination of the Split P and the QP Jazz would work.

Has anyone tried that combination ? Or would another Jazz Pickup work better ?

2. ctmullins

ctmullins fueled by beer and coconut Supporting Member

Apr 18, 2008
    MS Gulf Coast
    I'm highly opinionated and extremely self-assured
    Ignore the visual location of the pole pieces; they don't matter as much as most people think. Raise the A side of the P pickup.

3. C_Becker

C_Becker

Mar 30, 2017
    Germany
    So you think it should work with the string positioning ?
    The A string is too loud rather than too quiet, problem is turning it down affects the other strings as well.

EDIT: I've fiddled around with it some more, the balance is a bit better now, but I still feel that the A string is quite strong.

How does the Split P compare to the Quarter Pound, from the diagrams on their respective websites, they both seem quite scooped. I've heard the Split P being described as dark sounding and very hot.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2017
  4. ctmullins

ctmullins fueled by beer and coconut Supporting Member

Apr 18, 2008
    MS Gulf Coast
    I'm highly opinionated and extremely self-assured
    I edited my original post, but apparently got distracted SQUIRREL!

... uh, got distracted and forgot to save. Since it's a five-string things are a bit different, and just raising one half of the pickup isn't such a straightforward suggestion (as you mention above).

I actually don't have any experience with either of the DiMarzio P pickups, so perhaps I shouldn't even be contributing here. :) But if string-to-string balance is your primary concern, then I think you may need to look at five-string P pickups, like the Bartolini B-Axis 5 String PB5 P Bass Split Coil Neck Pickup - BestBassGear or the Nordstrand - Pickups - NP5 - Best Bass Gear or (maybe the best pairing with the QP) the Delano PMVC5 FE/M2 5 String Precision Bass Pickup - Best Bass Gear. I know they're more expensive, so perhaps not as appealing as a DiMarzio, but I don't think that the DiMarzio will fix your issue.

However, let's see what other, more knowledgeable TBers have to say!

Edit: since you're actually in Deutschland, you may be able to get a better price on the Delano. ;)

C_Becker likes this.
  5. C_Becker

C_Becker

Mar 30, 2017
    Germany
    Thanks for the suggestions, I didn't know that there were 5-string pickups available in the 4-string size.
    The only ones I saw were larger (like Fender does on their 5-string P-Basses) and wouldn't fit into my bass.

Still, can anyone say anything about the Split P ? The few videos I found sounded good to me.

6. Wademeister63

Wademeister63

Aug 30, 2004
    Denton Tx
    I can't comment on using the Split P on a 5 string but I can say that it's probably my all-time favorite pickup along with the DiMarzio Ultra jazz. To my ears, the Split P has a thick woody sound with a bit of a hard edge or clank if you will. Well defined and not wooly, and you can dial the clank out with the tone knob. I like them so much I have the Split P/Ultra Jazz combo on 3 different basses, lol.

C_Becker and ctmullins like this.
  7. C_Becker

C_Becker

Mar 30, 2017
    Germany
    Since the Bartolini and Nordstrands are hard to get here, and the Delano site confuses me :help:, I have decided to try the DiMarzios, according to one review at Thomann it should work quite well. Thick and woody sounds good, with a hint of agression. If that isn't enough, I can dial in some of the Quarter Pound J for more treble and grind.

The only worry I have is that the bass will be too much, especially on the B-string, I'll have to see about that.

8. Wademeister63

Wademeister63

Aug 30, 2004
    Denton Tx
    I was primarily playing with my bass tuned BEAD for over a year and I felt that the sound was well balanced across all strings without too much or too little bass or treble. One of my other basses is EADG so I have all 5 strings, just not at the same time. I think you'll be happy with the sound and will be looking forward to hearing your thoughts after you have a chance to try it out.

C_Becker likes this.
  9. C_Becker

C_Becker

Mar 30, 2017
    Germany
    That sounds good, if it works with BEAD, it should work with a fiver, right ?
    I'll give a little report when I have them installed, should be here by the weekend

10. C_Becker

C_Becker

Mar 30, 2017
    Germany
    So, its 11:30am here, I just spent the last half hour putting the Dimarzios in and DAMN !
    They sound really, really good. Much better string balance than the QPs, the A string now fits in properly with the rest.
    And just a great overall sound - fat, but not muddy (using 500k pots) with a bit of clank and dirt when you hit hard.

Very powerful in output, bass is a little boosted, but even the B string isn't overwhelming or boomy - I like :bassist::thumbsup:
    Needed to put them a little further from the strings than usual, especially the treble strings. But they were easy to set up, compared to the QPs where I spent hours trying to get it balanced.

Not the QPs fault mind you, since they weren't meant for a weird 5-string bass like that. Its jus that the blade pole piced design of the DiMarzio is better suited to that configuration. The Quarter Pound Jazz I have in the bridge position works great.

They play very nicely with the QP Jazz pickup in the bridge as well. Very versatile due to that, you can dial in some of that gnarly Jazz tone with the tone full up or you can dial the Jazz mostly out and turn down the tone a little and get warm, fat, classic sound.

If anyone is thinking about a Dimarzio / Duncan combo like that, go ahead, you won't be disappointed :thumbsup:

Wademeister63 and ctmullins like this.
  11. cheechi

cheechi

Mar 10, 2015
    you could also wire the existing pups in series (or a switch for series/parallel) to take away a lot of the scoop.

I really like the QP P but don't care as much for the QP J. I do really like both the Model J and the Area J, for different reasons, and have for a long time considered doing a PJ with the two brands mixed. So far, haven't. Couldn't really speak to how they would sound with a 5 though, to me the sound of a 5 is most natural with a soapbar or J style.