Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

DiMarzio Ultra-J Wiring Options

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by teej, Jul 31, 2005.

1. teej

teej

Aug 19, 2004
    Sheffield, AL 35660
    Just wondering....

I bought a set of Ultra Js for their series/parallel capability, but I didn't know the individual pups could be switched between humbucking and single coil. So I'm just wondering, what kind of sound would I get from the two configs (HB and SC)??

2. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    well, like any series/parallel switching I'd expect less mids with them run in parallel than in series.
    Given that they're somewhat mid shy when in series IMO, I don't think I'd ever wire them anything other than series.

3. teej

teej

Aug 19, 2004
    Sheffield, AL 35660
    i've already have it wired to a push/pull pot for series/parallel now, but i have some toggles lying around, and they could be used for switching the individual J pups between humbucking mode and single coil. that's what I was talking about... the difference in tone between humbucking and single coil modes.

4. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    no, I was talking about the individual pickups between series/parallel. You cannot wire the ultra J's in single coil mode since it's a split coil humbucker. Let me try to phrase what I was saying again.
    A humbucker in series has more mids than a humbucker in parallel. The Ultra J in series is still a tad scooped IMO, so I never had any inclination to try it in parallel

5. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    If you want to play around with options, I'd suggest going with phase switching, as opposed to series/single coil. It would make some interesting sounds, and would make use of the toggles you have laying around.

Like Mr. Wilson said, since it's a split coil, you'll find that half of your strings will have very low output if you went single coil.

6. teej

teej

Aug 19, 2004
    Sheffield, AL 35660
    ::consults schematics::
    Ahh, OK... my mistake. :smug:
    Yeah, it says here that the pups can be wired for series/parallel ("Dual Sound") and phase reversal. Not sure where I got single coil from. :meh: