Dimarzio Ultra Jazz - Audere Preamp

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by mxserratore, Jan 23, 2009.

1. mxserratore

mxserratore

Jan 29, 2008
    Thinking about fitting my Fender 70's Jazz (Japan) with Dimarzio Ultra Jazz and Audere Z Mode Jazz Preamp. Got a nice deal on the bass and trying to not exceed $1000 total for a good player. Anyone have experience with this combination.

2. hoey222

hoey222

Oct 12, 2001
    wilmington, de
    I have this on my geddy. I bought it that way from a fellow TB'er. Although, I'm sure exactly which model audere i have.

It's nice. I can get that geddy growl and depending on the band I can get a nice warm bottom or almost a ric-y treble.

It's working for me for now. I personally think the audere is a little noisy. I also think the ultras are a little too bright for me - but i'm not about to go changing anything soon.

3. Lincoln

Lincoln

Nov 3, 2006
    Akron
    I have the exact combo on my '71 ash/maple Ibanez jazz...and it's quite effective.

Quiet, very quiet,
    modern sounding, yet quite capable of vintage sounds - transparent
    punchy and aggressive when you dig in from Dimarzios
    very versatile -- Marcus thump, Jamerson old school ( thumb and palm mute ) and the ever popular Jaco fingerstyle -- I like to roll off the treble lie it's a tone knob and switch to the hi-Z mode for this...
    And Eaaaaaasy to install

I coupled these with a Hipshot A bridge and have nice power and sustain.

For samples check out my band's page - http://www.myspace.com/therhythmsyndicatemusic

The song's I'm on are Standing on Shaky Ground and Hop, Skip, Jump - these will give you some idea of the tone.

4. Gubna

Gubna

Oct 21, 2006
    San Francisco
    I have an audere and a bridge ultra and model j neck, really like the combination. Mine is also a mij

5. Knifedge

Knifedge

Jan 24, 2009
    I am considering going active pickups on one of my Fender Jazz basses. I have done a fair bit of research into doing this, not a great amount of information on the net to help you get at least a list of companies that sell Active pickups and preamp, much less install them. Audere, I haven't heard of it, and I had no idea that Dimarzio put out Jazz actives... is there a website that will help in picking and purchasing these items etc. etc. Any help is appreciated. I apologize if I seem to be a noob at this, I have been playing for a very long time, I just want to put an active sound to the playability of my 5 string Jazz.......

6. slyjoe

slyjoe Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2008
    Valley of the Sun (AZ)
    Dimarzio doesn't put out jazz active pickups. The Audere preamp is active, and is great, but the Dimarzio's are passive pickups.

The Audere website has a bunch of information on their preamps - much more than any other manufacturer.

7. Knifedge

Knifedge

Jan 24, 2009
    Thanks Slyjoe, I will check that out.. much appreciated. :)

8. mxserratore

mxserratore

Jan 29, 2008
    FYI... Dimarizo Ultra Jazz 5 string P/U will not fit Fender 5 string basses without modification. Both P/Us are the same size as the bridge 4 string.

9. dabbler

dabbler

Aug 17, 2007
    Bowie, MD
    I don't have that combination, I don't even have a Fender, but from my experience with my SX SJB with Fender Original Jazz pups and the Audere JZ3, the Audere is fairlyy transparent. If you don't crank the EQ too much mine sounds like a passive!

The Z switch is a nice feature, and the blend is smooth and continuous tone-wise. I thought 's I would miss the lack of a switch to turn the pre off, but tonally, it is really unnecessary, and the LED that tells you the battery condition makes it unnecessary to need go passive from a dead battery (unless you ignore it).

10. fishstix

fishstix

Feb 28, 2006
    Wisconsin
    I've got the Ultra Jazz pups in my Hwy 1 with the Audere and love it. I get complements on the tone all the time. With that said, it is a bit of a scooped tone and may not be for everyone (more of a trait of the pups than the pre). I think that that bass can go after the Marcus tone very well if that's what you want but I choose to dial it a bit differently.

I put Nordstrand NJ5FS pups in my '08 Standard 5-string and have had superb results there as well. It's a different, maybe more complex and traditional jazz, tone. However, I've ended up using stainless steel strings on that bass to get the tone where I want whereas the Ultra Jazz pups lend themselves to nickels to my ear and IMO. I think that for me it may be a case of getting the Nordstrands to be a bit more scooped and the Ultra Jazz to be a bit less scooped. Again this is just my preference and IMO.

In all, it's hard to go wrong with the Audere as it will take any good pup combination and just bring out their goodness and make them more flexible. The Ultra Jazz are very good pups and thus will work well with the Audere. If one were trying to head their tone away from the sound of the pups they have, then the Audere may not be what they want.

Hope that helps.

11. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 25, 2021