Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Dimarzio Ultra Jazz & Fender Custom 60's

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by rubo, Jan 22, 2005.

1. rubo

rubo

Aug 25, 2003
    I've narrowed it down to Dimarzio Ultra Jazz & Fender Custom Shop 60's. Which one has more midrange, more growl and darker sounding. Basically which one will cut thru the mix with more snap or punch.

Cheers

2. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    I like the sound of Ultra Jazz pickups, but I would never describe them as mid heavy or dark sounding. Very slap friendly sound IME. Of course, the whole sonic picture depends on strings, technique, preamp blah blah blah. But that's been my experience with them in several different basses.
    The problem with describing sounds with words is of course that everyone takes them to mean something different. When you say midrange, growl and darker sounding I think of Bart 9J pickups. Those have a muted high end. Then you talk about snap and punch, and I start to think of DM Model J pickups.

3. rubo

rubo

Aug 25, 2003
    Well if we used a Fender Regular I with Fender strings, basically the stock USA model as a point of reference. And assuming we use the same amp, technique and strings, there should be a tonal difference between the two for sure. I don't like barts they are round sounding.

Cheers

4. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    like I said previously, the Dimarzios are midrange shy IME.

When people say 'dark sounding' some mean muted high end, some people mean low mids. And I have no idea what 'round sounding' means.

If your only possible two choices are between those two pickups, then I'm going to say the Fenders. But I'd be interested to know what ones you considered.

5. rubo

rubo

Aug 25, 2003
    Dark I mean as if we changed it to 36" scale and we go down to the zero fret so the pitch goes down - simply darker tone.

Round I mean smooth, mellow, not dirty or growl. I'm also considering EMG Active J model.

Cheers

6. The Thinker

The Thinker Supporting Member

Sep 17, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    I have used both sets of pickups. In my experience:

The UJ's have big tight lows and extended, sparkly highs. Scooped-sounding in the mids. More clean than growly.

The Fender CS have more midrange emphasis, more growl and I would describe them as darker than the UJs.

7. rubo

rubo

Aug 25, 2003
    Thanks, I'll go with CS60 then.

8. Doug Parent

Doug Parent Supporting Member

May 31, 2004
    San Diego, Ca.
    Dealer Nordstrand Pickups.
    Let us know how much for those? Are you playing a fiver?

9. rubo

rubo

Aug 25, 2003
  10. Gord

Gord

Jan 10, 2004
    BC, Canada
    just a question, which of these pickups is deeper sounding? Which one will shake the walls?

11. The Thinker

The Thinker Supporting Member

Sep 17, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    IMO the Ultrajazz are much deeper, but also brighter on top.

12. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    The ultrajazz definitely have more natural low end., but IMO cut through less than the CS

13. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    Hi!

Dimarzio's are cool. You can also buy new pickups direct from Sadowsky. Very similar and about the same $

Rob