1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

DiMarzio Ultra Jazz in series/parallel mode

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Nino Valenti, Apr 23, 2006.

1. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Can a set of DiMarzio UJ 5 string J pickups be wired series/parallel like this diagram?

My concern is that since the 2 coils in each UJ5 are a different size, there may be some weird noise or something else weird.

[​IMG]

2. Dimarzio says:
    [​IMG]
    Where green is the ground wire and red is the hot wire.

The only thing I see is that you've swapped the volume pots around (or so it seems).

3. DavePlaysBass

DavePlaysBass

Mar 31, 2004
    CO
    Assuming that the impedance and voltage output is the same for each coil, parallel should be OK. I am guessing that the two coils are bascially the same but one gets two poles and the other gets three. If the coils are different, series and the hum cancelling phenomia are going to be compromised as well.

Dave

4. Mika

Mika Guest

Nov 29, 2002
    You can also wire each pickup internally in series or in parallel. The default wiring scheme in the Dimarzio instructions is internally in series.

Then you can of course hook up a series/parallel switch for the neck and bridge pickup. A basic V/V/T layout with three push/pull pots: internal series/parallel switching for each pickup on the volume controls and neck+bridge series/parallel switching on the tone pot.

5. ^^
    [​IMG]

I've done that and the results are phenominal! Although I think that the standard wiring scheme in the pickup is parallel. The pickups sounded hotter and fatter after I installed the mod.