Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

DiMarzio Ultra Jazz - MIM Jazz Bass

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Velkov, Feb 21, 2001.

1. Velkov

Velkov

Jan 17, 2001
    Lansdowne, Ontario
    I know there is already 5 other threads on this subject but I still want an exact answer.

I have a Mexican-made Fender Jazz Bass and I want to throw a set of DiMarzio Ultra Jazz pickups in it. Both pickups on my bass are the same size. Can somebody tell me whether I need to do any routing or anything like that or not. I want to know before I order the PU's. In one of the other threads somebody said that the MIM Jazz has two neck pickups. But I also saw a message saying that they are in fact two bridge pickups. And there was people saying that the neck hole is oversized, so no problem there but the bridge hole still needs some work.

So, I need somebody who has done that conversion to tell me what what kind of issues there are related to it. I don't know if Ultra Jazz and Model J have the same size. I imagine they would.

Better yet, can somebody tell me how big their Ultra Jazz pickups are?

Thank guys.

2. ok,, don't worry about what size the pickup routes are,, does it really matter,, i asked the same question before i got them,, bought the pickups
    and took them to my guitar guy,, i was getting the frets dressed and the neck shimmed so he put em in at the same time, i voiced my concern over the size,, but we sized them up by eye and the looked ok,, he put them in without any modification to either routes,, what u may find is that the back one may be a little tight, if it is remove a little of the finish with a sharp 1/4" chissel but do start too near to the chamfered edge of the route of it'll look crap,,,u probably wont even need to remove any wood,,

remove an even amout from each side until the back pu slips in nice and tight,, thats the back one

the front ones easy remove the pick guard and once you've unsoilder the leads unscrew it and pop the new one in ,, what u may find it that thepickup sits a little differently in the route because it uses the existing holes,, thats ok,, the new pickups look better, sound better and are a true replacement for the originals

the sizes are
    length is the important thing
    rear:9.4cm

front: 9cm

both ar approximatly 1.8cm wide

stu

3. Agreed on the above. Slight hand chisel work of about 1/8 on each end of only the Bridge route. >>>>Make sure and wallow out the wire hole down below where the bottom edge of the pickup will go, so it does not pinch and possibly cut the wires if the pickup is real tight. In other words, I chiseled mine out a little bit making a little channel down the side wall of the route to the bottom of the pickup route for the wires to lay in.

Also had to file a little on the pickguard to make it fit the slightly different spacing of the screw mounts on the neck pickup.

Worth it. No trouble, no power tools. I do own a Dremel, but I didn't even break it out. I guess I could have......

Chris

[​IMG]

4. Velkov

Velkov

Jan 17, 2001
    Lansdowne, Ontario
    So, I did it. I put a set of Ultra Jazz pickups into my Mexican Jazz Bass.

Throbbinnut was right. I didn't have to do that much work at all.

There was two places where I had to modify the original sizes/shapes. The bridge pickup is about a milimeter too wide. My dad, being a handyman, helped me file the wood off on both sides. It took 15 minutes. The other thing is that the pickguard needed a bit of filing too, to fit the smaller neck pickup. That took 15 minutes as well. Another 10 minutes for the soldering iron to warm up. I was done in one hour.

The results: if you look really closely you could probably notice that the neck pickup looks a bit funny with the whole in the pickguard being a different shape. The sound is amazing though. No noise at all. Lows and highs are boosted up a bit. So, now I run my EQ flat and I get the sound I want. Very punchy and funky sounding pickups. I think I've lost a bit of the growl but it only took a couple of days for my ears to get used to the new sound and now I love it. Overall I'm very happy I went for the Ultra Jazz.

Thanks everyone.

5. Rock on! The no-noise part is the best part for me. Have you tried running with the bridge pickup turned off? That's a good sound, too, very surprising for a Jazz, and still hum-free! I normally run both pickups full on, and the tone at about 3-4. Real old-school thump, but I do have Standard Jazzes, not Ultra.

Glad to hear it was a success.

Chris

6. td1368

td1368

Jan 9, 2001
    Philadelphia
    I just put in the Ultra Jazzes as well, like two days ago, so I'm stillwarming up to them. There is a lot more tonal variation not having both pickups set at the same level. Nice P sound and a fat J sound.

My problem now though is hum when my hands are not on the strings. I know keep my hands on then. But just wondering if anyone else noticed this and what was the solution. I'm thinking I need to do sheilding or I didn't ground correctly. Any Ideas?

7. I always say that's a cord or amp problem. But I could be wrong.:D All I did was put in my pickups, no extra soldering on the jack or tone pot or anything, just twisted the pickup wires together before pushing them through the holes. Both mine are noiseless, Korean Squier and Mexi Jazzes both with DP123's.

Chris

8. Suburban

Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    Most likely a grounding problem. Get hold of an ohm-meter and check it out. Don't forget to check bridge grounding - probably the most overlooked item of a bass....

9. td1368

td1368

Jan 9, 2001
    Philadelphia
    I own an ohm meter for electrical work I've done around the house. But I need help how do I check it out, what am I looking for, and at what sensitivity do I set my ohm meter? I know that's alot of info. Any web sites out there?

This will probably get bounced to setup but I knew this discussion was going on about ultra jazzes and wanted to compare notes.

Thanks

10. Suburban

Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    Yuore looking for non-zero ohms between ground on your cable and bridge, shielding, pot covers...there may be more points on active electronics.

If you strike >0 ohms, you need to backcheck where the problem is and resolder.

>0 at what sensitivity? I don't really have an opinion. It depends on where you put your probes and how finetuned you want it. Balance it to your soldering skills :D

11. Velkov

Velkov

Jan 17, 2001
    Lansdowne, Ontario
    Actually, I have that problem too. My pickups are noiseless when I'm playing. But when I get my hands off of the strings there is some noise. Not a lot.

I've been living with it but now that people think there is a fix for it I'd like to know some more.

Just the fact that the noise stops once I put my hands on the strings means that the strings are in the circuit. The grounding wire goes to the bridge, then the circuit continues with the strings and me at the end. But that doesn't make much sense, because I'm just a big resistor, so how does that affect the hum? I think it's a shielding problem but obviously I don't know enough.

12. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    My bass hums when I let go of the strings but the noisegate in my Digitech BP8 does a good job so the hum doesn't go through to the amp.

One question about grounding: do all the ground wires end up connecting to the ground part of the input jack? Or am I just off?

13. Velkov

Velkov

Jan 17, 2001
    Lansdowne, Ontario
    I normally think of it this way: everything that needs to be grounded (which includes the one leg of the jack) is connected to the same wire/conductor, and then that wire is connected to either the enclosure, if the thing you're making has a metal enclosure, or to the metal shielding of the cavity on a guitar, or to the bridge/strings.

But that's me with my limited knowledge of analog circuits.

14. td1368

td1368

Jan 9, 2001
    Philadelphia
    I looked at the wiring schematics from Fender for the standard jazz bass and noticed that they ground the bridge to the tone pot. For whatever reason my MIJ bass was grounded differently, the pickup grounding wires ran to a plate at the base of the contol cavity and then to the neck volume pot, .

I adjusted my wiring per the schematic and it cancelled the hum. Thanks for the suggestions.