1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

DiMarzio Ultra Jazz- mistake ?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by JimInMO, May 9, 2010.

1. Well, I wanted the regular DiMarzio Jazz bass set but had a senior moment a mistakenly ordered the Ultra Jazz set. I play blues, 50's, 60's country and R&R. Should I try these out or see if they can be exchanged before I open the package :confused:

2. coffin blurt

coffin blurt

Feb 6, 2010
    They are nice, man :)

3. The Thinker

The Thinker

Sep 17, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    Excellent pickups. You just might find yourself rolling highs off, as they have a lot of top end.

4. NOVAX

NOVAX

Feb 7, 2009
    Kalifornia
    they are bright as you need em to be. its worth it to be noise free.

5. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    there's no such thing as a "regular jazz" dimarzio pickup.

their new "area J" set sounds real close to a regular jazz pickup but without the hum.

the ultras do too, but with a little more power and more highs and lows.

6. 1954bassman

1954bassman

Jun 7, 2004
    Hickory, NC
    I put a set of ultra jazzs in a Lakland 55-01. Audere pre. They are kinda bright, I find myself triming back the treble most of the time. The Lakey still has the original round wounds on it, and I mostly use flats, so my ears might be conditioned to the less metallic sound of flats. The bass was an expriment of sorts for me. I gets lots of compliments from band mates when I bring it. So for me, I like the ultra jazz pups, but I don't know if they sound vintage or not.

I have a set of nordys I am going to try next. I may go passive with them.

7. Alivefor5

Alivefor5 Supporting Member

Jul 17, 2006
    Indiana
    Send'em back. Looking at the styles you enjoy playing you will be much better served
    with the "standard" set. Dimarzio calls them the DP123 set.

8. Craig_S

Craig_S Banned

Oct 15, 2008
    Metro Detroit
    Get the Area J's instead. I've had both. Both are great. The The Ultra's are high output and scooped. The Area's sound a lot more like a stock single coil pickup.

9. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    those are the model Js, and they're not even close to "standard".

they're side-by-side humbuckers with bottom-loaded ceramic magnets and steel adjustable polepieces. they're certainly good pickups, but nothing like regular jazz bass pickups.

10. Volume4

Volume4

Sep 15, 2009
    Long Island
    I wonder what the difference between the Dimarzio models and the Sadowsky hum cancelling J set are.

I believe that Dimarzio still makes them for Sadowsky to their specs.

11. Volume4

Volume4

Sep 15, 2009
    Long Island
  12. Oops, another senior moment. I meant area J.
    Thanks everybody. Back they go for exchange.