Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Dimarzio Ultra Jazz on bridge with SD Quarter Pound on neck. Will they work?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Mr M, Sep 11, 2005.

1. Will "Dimarzio Ultra Jazz" on bridge and "Seymour Duncan Basslines SPB-3 Quarter Pound" on neck work together?

Have someone tried such a PJ configuration?
    If so, how is the balance of PU's?
    Will they work with Duncan STC3-p (circuit for passive PU's)?
    Can they work with an active circuit?

2. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    It is possible to pair them together, yes
    Not me
    Yes (you basically asked the same question twice).

3. Thanks, still curious about the balance.. Will the Quarter Pound overwhelm the ultra jazz as it's a very very hot PU (as far as I've read here in the forums)?

Yes you are right, I'm a little bit confused about this issue of passive PU, active PU, active circuit for passive PU etc.

Just for curiosity, is there any passive circuit for passive PU and passive circuit for active PU?

4. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    It might do, but there are numerous things you can do to counteract this.
    Favor the bridge pickup, lower the neck pickup height / raise the bridge pickup height etc. Can I guarantee you'll be able to make it work to your satisfaction?. No
    Passive electronics are where you have volume and tone controls. Active electronics are where you have bass/treble/mid eq.
    You can have active pickups with active electronics, active pickups with passive electronics, passive pickups with active electronics or passive pickups with passive electronics. The last two options are the most common found on basses.

5. Thanks for a comprehensive answer..

I remember that it took me a while to order a coffee at Starbucks when they opened their first shop here a few years ago :D (a tall latte non-fat decaf with almond syrup whatever..., "I only want a bloody coffe :spit: " I wanted to scream that time)

I've got a Bass Collection bass(MIJ) that I'd like to replace the factory PUs. I've made lots of search here in the forums as I knew very very few things about pickups and electronics in general and I decided that I'd go with a Basslines SPB-3 Quarter pound instead of SPB-2 Hot for P or Dimarzio Split P(my other choices). And I'd go with Dimarzio Ultra Jazz instead of Basslines Hotstack or Basslines Quarter Pound Jazz. Why? Well unfortunately I don't have the chance to try them in person. I based my choice upon what I've read in the forums so far. I wanted a really hot P and a present J without noise. The thing that, those PUs which I thing will suit what I'm looking for, separetely, will they sound good together?

All other suggestions for a PJ configuration are welcome.

BTW I mostly play rock (from Audioslave to Malmsteen, from RHCP to Iron Maiden)

And I'll maybe go with a Duncan STC-3p active circuit for passive PUs or maybe I'll keep the factory circuit which is also an active circuit (but 2 bands) for passive PUs (I'm not sure about it, but don't think that my PUs are active)

6. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    I think the Dimarzio P/J set are a great, reasonably priced, agressive sounding pickup set