1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Dimarzio ultra jazz pups in a USA Fender Dlx Jazz?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by TimBosby, Aug 18, 2007.

1. TimBosby

TimBosby Gold Supporting Member

Dec 19, 2004
    Omaha, NE, USA
    I am thinking about replacing the stock Cobalt Samarium "Noiseless" pickups in my American Deluxe Jazz with DiMarzio Ultra Jazz pickups. I've always liked the sound of DiMarzio pickups and I dig that they come in cream/white color. Any thoughts on this? I like the Noisless pickups but they're almost a little too thin sounding, particularly the E string (the A string sounds a little too big in contrast). I know, it's a Jazz, it's supposed to be thin. How would the DiMarzios change my tone? I only have experience with old DiMarzios (on my 81 Ibanez Roadster) in a PJ configuration.

2. SuperSnake2012

SuperSnake2012 floppy b strings

Dec 12, 2006
    Bronx, NY
    Fender noiseless pups have less output than standard single coil pickups so they should help fatten out your tone a bit.

3. datsgora

datsgora Guest

May 23, 2007
    N. Ca. Martinez
    might I suggest the DiMarzio Model J's....they have adjustable pole pieces and you can really dial in an even string volume...I have both sets in different basses.....and i love them both. The ultras are very clean, deep and extremely good in the studio. The model J's just have more of a growl to them....I like them a little better that the ultras. Good luck on the install.....whichever you choose!

4. afroman

afroman Supporting Member

Aug 31, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I tried both Dimarzio UJ and Model Js on the Geddy Lee I used to own.

Ultra Jazz: cleaner, brighter, more bass, more treble, a little mid-scooped. Great for slapping or cleaner playing styles.

Model Js: more mids, aggressive, better for pick, rock and cutting through loud guitars and drums.

Both were great. I would've loved to have to jazz basses one with each of these pickups. I kept the Model Js in the end for my tastes.

5. TimBosby

TimBosby Gold Supporting Member

Dec 19, 2004
    Omaha, NE, USA
    This entire time when I said "Ultra Jazz" I meant "Model J". I got them confused. I am not so big on the "modern" sound so I would prefer the Model Js..that's what I meant all along.

Glad both are getting good reviews though. I also think the creme-colored pickups would look sweet in my transparent amber with red tort pickguard jazz.

Mine looks like this only with a maple board:

[​IMG]

6. groove pump

groove pump

Oct 24, 2006
    D'oh indeed!!!

Why didn't I think of DiMarzios back when I had a Jazz Dlx? Well I have a set of Ultra J's in my franken-jazz now and score it a big check plus. I'm not a heavy slapper - actually play more blues and classic rock - and I also haven't done a Pepsi challenge between these pu's and the other J's from DiMarzio, but I've never even wondered about a preamp for this bass. For me, it's big, round, warm, and clear like I want it to be and I'd recommend any of their stuff without reservation - especially as an improvement for your Fender.