1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

DiMarzio Ultra Jazz question

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by ukbassboy, May 1, 2006.

1. ukbassboy

ukbassboy

Mar 19, 2006
    UK
    Right, I have got sick of the hum of my Yamaha BB605 and feel like an upgrade in sound so have decided to replace the stock pick-ups. After reading Smashes and the Dr Dimento threads and listening to a few soundclips I have fallen for a pair of five string DiMarzio ultra jasses but just have a few quick questions before I fork out the cash on them.
    1) The size looks good, and I am happy to make them fit if necessary but am curious to know if these just fit straight in as a one for one replacement or do they need additional covers (the Dimarzio site doesn't have any images).
    2) My bass is active with 5 pots - master vol, bass, treble, pick-up blend, mid, and a mid cut switch - will the PUs work fine with this set up?
    3) Will I be able to just take out the stock PUs and swap the wires to the new Ultras or is it more complicated. I am happy with basic soldering but my electronics knowledge is a bit rusty.

Cheers for any help in advance.

2. basadam

basadam

Nov 29, 2005
    1) They are one for one replacement for Fenders. The dimensions are listed on DiMarzio website.
    2) Yes!
    3) Ultra Jazz have four wires (two for each coil; this allows for series/paralles setup). For 2-wire setup you'll need to connect and insulate two of them, or you can add a switch to select series/parallel on the fly. There is enough information in the package also on the website.

Just be careful about the fingerboard radius. DiMarzios are basically made for Fenders. With a different radius you may have different volume levels on different strings. It's a good idea to send them an e-mail, they respond reasonably quick.

3. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    The UL5's are both bridge length - 3.75"
    Fender 5 string pups I've had experience with are longer - bridge being 4.13", neck being 3.98" IIRC

4. ukbassboy

ukbassboy

Mar 19, 2006
    UK
    Cheers guys, the dimensions didn't seem to be on the DiMarzio site but reckon the holes I have already will be plenty big enough even for 2 bridge size PU's. My yamaha seems to have a very flat fingerboard so that might have to figure in my final decision.
    Dave, a special thanks for your pick-up samples - they were a massive factor in my decision. Very useful!!! However I am going to keep listening to the Ultra Jazz and Bart CB samples over the next week to see if the Bart sound starts to grow on me more or whether I still prefer the ultras before I make the purchase:hyper:

5. jzucker

jzucker

Feb 3, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    They fit straight in as a replacement for fender jazz pickups.

They are fabulous pickups by the way.

6. Can you provide the link to the soundclips please?

7. Darth Tater

Darth Tater

May 20, 2005
    If you want to hear a couple of more Ultra Jazz clips go to my website http://www.chuckamuck.com/guitars/basses and click the sound clips under the green ESP bass. It's an ESP J4 with UltraJazz pickups. I also added push/pull pots for series/parallel switching :hyper:

8. ukbassboy

ukbassboy

Mar 19, 2006
    UK
    So if I connect and insulate two wires on each pick-up, does that mean I have lost any humcancelling properties of the PU (one of my main reasons for upgrading). I will just be putting them in as direct replacements for a start and might move on to the preamp in the future, so no series/parallel switching.
    Thanks for your ongoing help guys.

p.s. just listening to Tools new album 10,000 Days and its awesome:D

9. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    No, you'll just be hardwiring in series or parallel. IIRC, the 5 string UJ's are only 2 wire but it's been a few years so I may be wrong.

10. sotua

sotua

Sep 20, 2004
    SF Bay Area
    Do not buy before measuring.

That said, best bass geat has dimensions of the Ultra Jazz 5 pickups: http://www.bestbassgear.com/images/pickups/dimarzio-5j-dim.gif

11. basadam

basadam

Nov 29, 2005
  12. ukbassboy

ukbassboy

Mar 19, 2006
    UK
    Thanks sotua, all measured and the Ultras should fit straight in so they are payed for and ordered now. I will post my views once I have them in and have gigged with them.
    Thanks for everyones help!

13. PaulYeah

PaulYeah

Mar 1, 2004
    Dallas, TX
    The guy who just installed my new Ultra Jazz 5ers told me he couldn't do series/parallel wiring because they were only 2 wire.

14. PaulYeah

PaulYeah

Mar 1, 2004
    Dallas, TX
    Also, he had to do some routing on the body and pickguard to fit the bridge PU in my 1999 MIM jazz.