Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Dimarzio ultra jazz users

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Tommy Gunz, Sep 5, 2003.

1. Can you tell me if these pickups are already sealed or not? I always thought that they weren't and the pickup cover is removable, but I just received a set from a ebay seller and they are already sealed. Is there a way to remove the sealing material? They look like hardened hot glue to me, may be I can melt them away with a soldering iron? I want to remover the black pickup cover because I'm planning to make a custom wood cover for them.

2. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    Murfreesboro, TN (Nashville)
    Dealer LowEndBassShop.com, Builder LowEndBasses.com
    James told me you needed help, isn't he such a swell guy :rolleyes:

Anyway, do not heat, you migth damage something.

Take a razor and be carefull to cut around the edge of the pickup cover to cut the pickup away from the cover.

You might also be able to just take a blunt object like an allen wrench or something and puch straight down on the pole pieces to push it straight put.

Doing both will work best though.

3. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    :eek: well I never!

Go ahead and call me from your office or home or old man's homestead with computer issues again Barrett! :spit:

;)

4. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    Murfreesboro, TN (Nashville)
    Dealer LowEndBassShop.com, Builder LowEndBasses.com
    :D

5. Thanks a lot guys. I'll give it a try today.

6. well after cutting myself and have two stiches done at the hospital, the 'glue' at the edge are all removed and the bobbin came right out quite easily. Thanks again for the advice.

7. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile

[​IMG]

Dude! becareful! them razors are sharp!!!

8. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    Will these pickups feedback at higher gain settings?

9. StartingLineBass

StartingLineBass

Jul 24, 2002
    From what I understand, these are supposed to stay silent no-matter what. Is it possible for you to make sound clips when they get installed in your bass, cause I'm interested in these p-ups as well.