Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

DiMarzio Ultra Jazz vs. Fender Custom Shop J

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by furtim, Oct 29, 2000.

1. furtim

furtim

Dec 12, 1999
    Boston, MA, USA
    I'm in a bit of a quandry at the moment. These two pickups seem to be exactly what I'm looking for and in the right price range, too! BUT... which one is the better pickup? I know that the DiMarzio is a stacked humbucker, which appeals to me because those are supposed to have almost no interference noise (which is the only REAL problem I have with the stock pickups on my Fender Jazz). However, I like the sound of my Jazz, so I was wondering if maybe I'd be better off staying with the single-coil design to avoid changing what I like about my current pickups, which would be why I'm considering the Fender Custom Shops.

So... I basically want to hear from anyone who has used either of these pickups. Good? Bad? Which sounds closest to my stock Fender Jazz pickups, but without the annoying hum?

2. First off, the di Marzio's are not stacked humbuckers, they're end to end humbuckers, that is, one magnet covers two strings. After reading a favourable review in Bass Player a coupla years back, (not the pickup shootout- before that) I got some and stuck them in my Jazz. I was very pleased with the results. I would'nt say they sound as good as 60's vintage originals, they dont have those articulate highs, but for a replacement in a 90's Jazz, I reckon they're pretty good. If you're a rocker, go for them.If you're a jazzer, stay with single coil Lindy Fralin's or Seymor Duncan Antiquities, and live with the hum.

3. For a classic J-bass sound without the hum check out the Basslines Classic Jazz Stack pickups. As the name implies these are stacked humbuckers. They give me "that J-bass sound", I'm very pleased with their sound. I have had them put into my custom J-bass (swamp ash body, all maple neck)

Bert

4. furtim

furtim

Dec 12, 1999
    Boston, MA, USA
    Whoops. Unstacked humbuckers, right. =) I think they're actually split-coil, and I got all messed up trying to say so. Well, at least SOMEONE knows what they're talking about.

Well, if the DiMarzio's don't have the same highs, then I guess they're not for me. I like punch, but I don't want to be too punchy.

Treb: If these Basslines pickups are all you say they are, they might be the ones for me. I'll look into those. Price is a major concern of mine, so I hope they're not too expensive. =)

5. Anyone know of a source or approximate price for the Seymour Duncan Basslines Classic Stack Jazz set? I have the Dimarzio DP123 split coil jazz set, and I like it, but I want to try the STK-J1 in my Squier jazz.

thanks,
    Chris

6. I just got my '77 Carl Thompson back from the shop with the DiMarzio Ultra Jazz pickup installed, and boy.. what a difference! It tightened up the sound dramatically. This is an all-mahogany bass that had a ton of midrange, especially with the other pickup being so close to the neck. Now with the DiMarzio, it's got growl and edge.. and it's dead quiet. I recommend this pickup.

7. Funkster

Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    If you like that true Fender tone go with the Custom Shop 60's you won't regret it. I have them in my 77 Jazz bass and they sound great, tons of bottem and I have had no noise problems. JMHO Good Luck!

8. furtim:
    Generally speaking SD Basslines pickups aren't cheap, can't help you with a price in US$ since I live "accross the pond".
    A very Fender-knowledgeable bass player once said that Seymour Duncan's Classic Jazz Stack pickups have a handle on the Fender J-bass vibe. He's also the one that recommends these pickups since they deliver a "60's tone without the hum".
    If you want to use your J-bass as a true two pickup bass go for humbuckers.

Bert

9. Fender Custom Shop pickups rule!
    I am with the Funkster on this one. I've tried them both, and, to say the least, the Custom Shop P-ups sound like a J bass should. No more, no less. Just the best.
    However, the DiMarzio's sound great, too. Just different. Less warmth with more of a brittle high end.

10. http://www.warmoth.com now has prices for Basslines. $75 each for the Classic Jazz Stack. That's $150 for a pair, more than I paid for the Squier Jazz bass I want to put them in! :D So that's not gonna be happening. I guess I'll get some more Dimarzio's DP123's. They're only $90 for the pair, and I love the ones I have.

Chris

11. furtim

furtim

Dec 12, 1999
    Boston, MA, USA
    If the Custom Shops sound like a Jazz "should", then they're the ones for me. GuitarTrader.com has them going for $120 at the moment, which is practically dead center of the price I was looking at.

I'd like to know a little more about these Classic Jazz Stack pickups, though. The price at warmoth.com didn't seem too bad (mostly because my bass actually cost MORE than the replacement pickups would :)), so it would be nice to hear more specifics about what kind of sound they give.