Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

DiMarzio Ultra Jazzes in a Carvin??

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by odie, Apr 2, 2003.

1. odie

odie Supporting Member

Will these fit the route that is currently there?? Im going to be picking up a LB or BB75 that is about 7 years old. I will play it first to see what it sounds like.

But Ive heard that the Pups and sometimes Pre are the weak points in a otherwise solid bass.

Ive heard alot of good things about these PUPS, Im not a big fan of jazz style. I was hopeing these would be a good solution.

Any ideas or other opinions/options??

2. chucko58

chucko58

Jan 17, 2002
    Silicon Valley, CA, USA
    I paid for all my gear myself. Well, me and MasterCard.
    The Carvin J style routs are both the length of the Fender Jazz Bass (4 string) bridge pickup, i.e. 3-3/4" IIRC.

I've installed some Sadowsky single coils in one of my LB75s. These Sadowskys are supposed to be the same as the DiMarzio UltraJazz, or at least that's what I was told. They are taller than the Carvin J style pups, and the mounting tabs go all the way to the bottom of the pups, where the Carvin's tabs didn't. They did fit, but I needed to cut down the rubber tube "springs", and there is not a lot of room for lowering them.

So to sum it up, they should fit, but don't expect to screw them down very far!

3. odie

odie Supporting Member

Cool good answer!! Thank you!!!

ANYONE- Any other good options for a more humbucker sound. Or a punchy MM sound?

4. chucko58

chucko58

Jan 17, 2002
    Silicon Valley, CA, USA
    I paid for all my gear myself. Well, me and MasterCard.
    Oh, I forgot to mention that those pickups fattened up the tone of that LB75 something fierce! If you're looking for a fat, bottom-heavy sound, I think you'll be quite happy when you install those DiMarzios.

Unlike many people around here, I think the Carvin preamp is just fine for what it is. The J-99 pickups are adequate for a 5 string, but there are better J style pickups out there IMHO.

5. rumblethump

rumblethump Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2000
    Pioneer CA. 95666
    I switched out the first Carvin preamp for the newer version with a better voiced midrange and the active passive option. It was definately a change for the better. While I liked my bass when it was only active, I prefer to play it passive now and only use the active system occasionaly.

6. Casey C.

Casey C.

Sep 16, 2000
    Butler, PA, USA
    Odie-

You might wanna replace all the guts of the lb75. It doesn't sound all that great. Then again, my amp isn't that great anyways so that might make a difference. As mentioned earlier, the guts are weak but the bass is very solid, espcially since its older.

have fun and let me know how it goes :)