DiMarzio Ultra J's VS SD Classic Stack

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by TheNerdBass, Jul 23, 2005.

1. TheNerdBass

Jun 30, 2005
    Detroit, MI
    I want to get some new pickups for my SX. I found the DiMarzio Ultra J's and the Seymour Duncan Classic Stack. Both are noiseless, which is a feature I would like to try. Is there a noticeable difference between these two? I see a lot of people that have the Ultra J's but I haven't seen anyone with the SD's. I play classic rock, but I can go anywhere from metal to funk. Your help is appreciated. :smug:
  2. Pickebass

Pickebass Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2004
    San Antonio, TX
    I tried the ultra Js. I think they have more of a pronounced midrange. I purchased a pair of hot stacks (got a great deal on the set) and really like them. Very, Very clean. When I first installed them, I was concerned about the sound being too sterile. After playing them in a band setting I very happy with the sound.
  3. I just sold some ultra jazzes. They're good pickups. I used them for a rock band. Worked ok, not amazing, but ok. Def. more midrange, clear, good decent highs...recorded ok, but not really bassy. I wouldn't put them in another bass, but to each his own. Not bad pups, just not what I liked. It also depends on which bass you put them in and the wood type. I put them in an alder body maple neck bass...so that kinda explains the clear top, midgrange, and non abundance of low end.
    What your amp setup is like will also affect as well. What do you want? Heavy? Strong? Midrange? Bass? Recording?
    You might want to look into the hot stacks possibly or even the antiquity 2's.
    hope this helps at least a little.
  4. TheNerdBass

Jun 30, 2005
    Detroit, MI
    Cool, thanks for the advice!
  5. luknfur

Jan 14, 2004

the classic stacks through my rigging had a good quality vintage Fender single J tone while the Model J's were more aggressive and raw. There were also model J's made to work with a preamp that were voiced a little brighter than the standard set. Haven't bothered to side by side them but I'm going to. The The Ultra's struck me as thin as did Antiquity II's. The classic stacks are the only stacks to date that have really sounded singles to me. I doubt you'd be disappointed in either the Classic stacks or the Model J's if you favor a brighter bridge pup tone. There's review on both in Dimento's J pup experiment.